Author Topic: Solex Carb conversion  (Read 5043 times)

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« on: June 10, 2010, 20:28:44 »
Does anyone know if there is a good conversion from Solex to Weber Carbs on a D2 motor?
   More importantly, was this commonly done in the past?

Thanks!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 01:26:35 »
Rob

There are a few Bristol powered Aces and Greyhounds running triple weber carburettors instead of Solex in the UK.

Will speak to Tony Byford my engine builder for accurate details, will also try and touch base with Mike frayn as he has weber set up on his Greyhound.

Update over weekend.

Keith

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 17:41:57 »
Thanks very much Keith!

Jim A

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 19:01:24 »
On the other thread, you describe your Solex problems as "nightmarish."  I would be interested in more details.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 19:24:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Rob

There are a few Bristol powered Aces and Greyhounds running triple weber carburettors instead of Solex in the UK.

Will speak to Tony Byford my engine builder for accurate details, will also try and touch base with Mike frayn as he has weber set up on his Greyhound.

Update over weekend.

Keith

Sorry for delay in reply.

The weber conversion is  3 x  weber  34 ICH  These carburretors are available with fixed chokes of  25mm ,  27mm  &  29mm   evidentally most popular are  27mm.

This conversion gives a little more power with a much more
   contolled progressive feed throughout the entire rev band.
   Also cures those niggly fuel leaks from the needle valve area.

Hopefully, this information points you in the right direction,  would be interesting to hear how you proceed and conclusions drawn during the season. [;)]

Would also be interested in what sort of problem/s you were experiencing with the Solex set up [?]
   Good Luck

Keith

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:49:29 »
Thanks to all for your responses.

The primary issues at hand with the Solex' are the following:
   1. Flat spotting through the power bands.  Mostly in lower revs 2500-4500
   2. Big issue - when racing and turning through longer right handers (clockwise), my engine will sputter/lose power/quit. When I come out of the turn, power then slowly returns.

I am running 3 1/2 lbs of fuel pressure in a fully equaliz(s)ed system.
   We reduced the fuel pressure to 2 lbs on the recommendation of a knowledgeable Bristol mechanic only to find that I then lost power on the straights as well!  So, I was clearly sucking the bowls dry on the straights under full throttle due to the lower pressure.  However, the right hander power loss issue is still a mystery.  Also, we have found the carbs to be running quite rich and have subsequently adjusted accordingly.

I hope this info helps.  Any further insight would be helpful.

The webers however are now installed and awaiting tuning.  My next race is in 10 days.  I will keep you posted.
   Cheers,
   Rob

Jim A

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 22:31:03 »
To parapharase Cassius, I wonder if the fault is not in our Solexes, but in ourselves.
   I think it is likely that the AC Bristols that did so well at Le Mans were running Solexes.

pls01

• View Profile
Solex Carb conversion
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 18:22:26 »
I haven't had much problem with the Solex's.  I think they are the same as the Porsche 356.  Maybe some one can confirm.

I found this expert http://www.356carburetorrescue.com  Don't know how good they are, but it maybe an alternative
   Peter S