Author Topic: 2013 International in the USA  (Read 46338 times)

Bill P

• View Profile
2013 International in the USA
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:44 »
I note that Bill Bridges attended the 2012 Cobra Celebrations at Monterey, etc  -  perhaps he can offer some advice on transportation, insurances, bonds etc etc??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 14:35:30 »
Of course I saw his car out there, but I don't know him, nor would recognize him. I should have made an attempt at meeting him as well.

Does anyone have his contact info?

Gus

Bill P

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 18:10:24 »
Gus - I've sent you a "pm"

Regards, Bill Patterson

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 18:12:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Of course I saw his car out there, but I don't know him, nor would recognize him. I should have made an attempt at meeting him as well.

Does anyone have his contact info?

Gus

GUS

Confirmed Bill and Carolines Bridges telephone numbers  via email.

.Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 18:19:00 »
Thanks guys, got it.

Will make contact

Gus

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2012, 13:30:58 »
FYI – because of time constraints I don’t think Bill was able to take the most economic option to get the Hairy Canary to and from the US. In order to be back in time for the Goodwood Revival I believe the car is being air freighted home.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2012, 20:22:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

FYI – because of time constraints I don’t think Bill was able to take the most economic option to get the Hairy Canary to and from the US. In order to be back in time for the Goodwood Revival I believe the car is being air freighted home.

Such a nice bloke, and a great car, I think Bill likes yellow Cobras,as all his cars seem to have been yellow !! looking forward to seeing the Hairy Canary at the Revival !

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2012, 19:19:55 »
A couple of pictures of Bixby bridge on the pacific Coast highway. Something to look forward to when participating in the ACOC International USA!!

Simon Taylor in his 2.6 ACE

Jonathan Parker in his gorgeous Ace

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2012, 12:05:04 »
Gus.

Great to see that you have published information on the Prospective ACOC International USA, in   ACtion, hopefully you get positive feed back and the event comes to fruition.[:p].

Can you please confirm  provisional dates, To make it really worth while and cost effective Julie & I like many would extend our visit to say 15 / 21 days.

Have you any more information on group costing for :

4 cars per 40 ft container.
   Insurance, pending AC model and Value. (Hagerty ? Sponsor ?)

and

Have you a running list of interested parties from UK, Mainland Europe  &  USA ..[?]  If so, I will email a name or 2 of other interested ACOC members , who have yet to contact you..In the meantime can you email me the upto date list..[;)]

Will send seperate email direct.

Cheers for Now

Keith..[:)]

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2012, 18:14:13 »
Gus, I was talking to Malcolm Welford, at the Goodwood Revival. He is a partner of Morris and Welford historic car consultants in Cost Mesa California. He has been a friend for years and has a lovely black 289. He will be happy to help wherever he can, and thinks the West Coast International would be a great success! Andy.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2012, 15:28:42 »
Gentlemen,

I am receiving emails confirming interest in participation as we speak. I will publish a list of all who are interested. I have been in communication with the shipper and Hagerty. I have proposed to have them ship 4 cars per container. They frequently do this. I assume the cost would become rather palatable if that is the case. I have spoken with Jim Feldman the other day, who forgot to send me the Mille miglia California road books and promptly promised me to do so. I also followed a suggestion from Jonathan Parker to involve a couple ot the California Cobra guys, as they have organized tours as well, one of which being the sort of figure 8 with Monterey being the center.
   Keith, the tour would center around the Monterey week. I don't want to get ahead of myself, as I'd rather have a good feeling for how many parties are truly interested in going. I can tell you that at this point it appears I have about 10-12 parties interested, some of which have suggested they may bring two cars...

My idea is to publish a proposal for the route and sights to see along the route and confirm the shipping costs next. I expect to have this buttoned up before the end of September. Between that and email confirmations, I suppose it will be D-day and either move forward or not. I am encouraged by the amount interested thus far. If all these people show up and we attract a gaggle of USA based cars, it should be possible to have a tour with 25-30 cars.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2012, 18:43:35 »
Steadily emails are coming in.

At this time I have roughly 20 people that have interest in the event. Most of those are from Europe.

Gus

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2012, 22:12:16 »
Gus, if possible there should be a deal of support from the U.S.A. and Canada - do you need to spread the word through the other clubs who cater for Cobras in N. America ?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:33 »
Barrie,

I have made contact with some of the Cobra guys as well.

I have not seriously pursued this yet, as I think the biggest hurdle is to make the Trip palatable for the European crowd.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2012, 21:11:54 »
I hereby submit an update to the ACOC international developments.

As the month of September came to a close, I have received 28 replies confirming interest!

Andy Shepherd
   Rob Fisher
   Rob Krantz
   Jonathan Parker
   Robin Grove
   Keith Lessiter
   Robin Stainer
   Charles Bishop
   John Thompson
   Iona and Barry Dickens
   Matthew and Laraine Feltham
   David Coleman
   Bryan Moseley
   John Lucke
   Anita Hermanns and Heinz Vogel
   Paul Staiger
   Brendan Finn
   Nick Eden
   Mark Vorenkamp
   Drew Serb
   Bill Patterson
   Constant Wagner
   Jeffrey Jones
   Marc Dubost
   Barrie Bird
   Peter Come
   Ronald Mack

And myself, of course.

Interestingly, it appears most seem to be European members. I would like to make sure that all members on the North American Continent also know they are welcome and included and to please email me notifying their intent to partake.

I've been talking to many shippers and have received as many different quotes. Most recently I was introduced to Robin Grove via Keith Lessiter. Robin happens to be restoring her AC Bristol and happens to be a very experienced shipper of high end collector cars! She suggested we ship to LA, where her office is based.  Members can than fly in to LAX, get a good night's sleep and collect their cars the next day and start the trek north. Taking a gander at Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Rodeo Drive and Santa Monica boulevard before exiting onto the pacific coast highway in Santa Monica. Just north you will drive through Malibu. Honestly speaking, the first section from Malibu to Cambria is best to be passed by as quick as possible. However, Cambria is a great little town on the Ocean with good Lodging options for a night stay over. The next day will be some of the most Fabulous driving you've done in your life: The Pacific Coast highway from Cambria to Carmel

Incredible views, undulating roads hugging the cliffs on the pacific, traveling through Big Sur

It is best to not take off early in the morning, as you will likely be shrouded in pacific fog. Later in the day the fog usually burns off and spectacular views can be taken in. Of note is that Hearst Castle is along the way and although it will delay you for several hours, it is worth stopping in.

In speaking to various members over the past 3 months and getting more suggestions than I know what to do with, it is evident that most feel the idea of spending some time around the Monterey Peninsula during the Pebble Beach extravaganza is a good idea.

I have the 2012 route book from the California Mille, which would have us loop North from Monterey to the wine country and Lake Tahoe, with some spectacular driving!!
   Lodging is extremely expensive in and around Monterey during the Pebble Beach week. Hotels will charge as much as 6-7 times their normal rate and get away with it.

I have stayed in Gilroy (the Garlic capitol of the world is it's self proclaimed dubious note of fame). The Hilton Garden inn is on the south end of town, offers ample parking and has excellent facilities (check out their website online: http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-garden-inn-gilroy-SJCGHGI/index.html

Pricing per room is very reasonable and it is only a 45 minute drive from the Monterey Peninsula. In my opinion an excellent base for 2 nights, while visiting Laguna Seca Raceway for the Rolex Historics and Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance.

From there it is 117 miles to San Francisco along the Pacific coast. It is from there that we tie into the routes as outlined by the California Mille. The tour would than take another 4 days and be broken up into palatable morning and afternoon sections for a total of approximately 200 miles per day.

Generally speaking lodging will be along the same trend as this Hilton Garden inn and cost between $100 and $150 per night, depending on location and availability. This typically includes a good breakfast. Hotel rooms generally are bigger than in Europe and rooms with 2 queen size beds could be split, in case members would choose to do so, further reducing expense.

The ACOC part of the tour will be 7 days: 2 at the peninsula for the car events. You'll be on your own as to what you decide you want to do and see. There are many different Concourse events, Auctions by all the Major international Auction houses, historic racing at Laguna Seca Raceway and of course the Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance. All of these have different prices attached to them.

Pebble Beach this year was $200
   Laguna Seca for a day is $50
   The Auctions usually charge $100 or more(or you can renew your membership to Classic and Sports car during one of the events and get a complimentary entry to the Gooding Auction at Pebble Beach)

Dining and Lunches will vary in cost, depending on how extravagant one wants to be. Excellent dinner meals can be had for anywhere from $20-50 per person including drinks. Lunch can be had for as little as $5 to $20 for a great lunch.

Many members have indicated to me they would like to come over for a total of 2-3 weeks. With the above numbers you ought to be able to give yourself a reasonable estimate on what your budget for that trip would be.

Robin's concern is the cost involved with the Pebble Beach week. My concern is cost of shipping. I have various quotes and Robin will look into it as well, as this is her business. She also was kind enough to offer her help in offering options for a "southern" route with attractions such as the Palos Verdes Concourse d'Elegance and track time at Willow Springs. As soon as a firm quote is on the table I will post it on the Forum as well as updating through the ACtion.

Time line suggestion: Cars will have been shipped and are cleared and in warehouse by the time drivers arrive in LA.

August 14th: Arrival of Members at LAX, rest and recover from flights

August 15th: Collect Cars at holding warehouse in AM and drive from LA to Cambria, 220 miles

August 16th: Drive Cambria to Gilroy along the Pacific Coast highway with stop over in Carmel and/or at Hearst Castle, 145 Miles

August 17th and 18th: Stay at Gilroy Hilton Garden inn and visit events of Monterey Peninsula

August 19th: Drive Gilroy to Lodi, along Pacific Coast Highway, through San Fransisco, passing over the Golden Gate Bridge, 225 miles

August 20th: Drive Lodi to Lake Tahoe, 155 miles

August 21st: Drive around Lake Tahoe and up to Reno and back to Lake  Tahoe, 190 miles

August 22nd: Drive Lake Tahoe to Calistoga, 236 miles

August 23rd: Drive Calistoga to Bodega bay back to Calistoga 200 miles.

All drives will be broken up in a reasonable morning and afternoon session.

This concludes the "official" tour. Members can decide on their own to continue from there.

Shipping can be arranged to and from LA or other ports, such as Oakland (San Francisco). Anything is possible, even airfreight. It all depends on how much you are willing and able to afford.

Please keep suggestions, questions and announcements of interest to partake coming to my email inbox!

Meyjes@chartermi.net