Author Topic: AE 504 Reg XPC 680  (Read 5846 times)

SGallon

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« on: November 09, 2015, 16:05:20 »
I have recently become the proud, if not slightly daunted, owner of AE504. She is back to her original Golf Blue 'Metallescent' body colour and has a Ford 2.6 mill on board but needs the engine bay fitting out with new panels, new linkages to cope with the throttle linkage being N/S on the Ford rather than original O/S, interior, electrics, etc etc

I am interested in any history that club members maybe aware of, whether that be early pictures or records of Rallies, previous owners, stories, even rumours will do to follow up

Let me know - Many thanks in anticipation

Ps. the goal is to get her ready for Goodwood next year - wish me luck!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 19:08:05 »
Is that registration correct or the register wrong?

Nice early Aceca -would be nice to see what Golf blue is like.

Graham

nikbj68

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 22:28:33 »
Congratulations, Simon. I was sent some photos by Keith Lessiter which I have not posted until now, for fear of tempting fate!!!
   What an interesting Aceca, at one time, having faired-in headlights á la Aston DB5 sort of thing!

Registry IS slightly awry, Graham.

AE 504, sometime pre-1960:

For Sale in MotorSport, June, 1964(bet you wish you`d had £595 to spare then, eh?!):

And 2 photos during restoration, April 2007:

Hope all goes well with your project, you can rely on this Forum for much assistance.
   Nik.

nikbj68

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 00:11:56 »
On a Previous Thread Keith showed us the following cine film from Plumelec Hill Climb, 1968, unfortunately the original photo that started the thread has gone, so probably best to focus on this thread going forward.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 08:38:48 »

Nik.

Thank you for posting the  above pictures from my collection, The video you refer to I Posted but originated from LouisM in France, Regards the photograph, I will email Louis later today and ask if
   he can reproduce and post a link to the photo he posted a few years ago. or assuming he still has access to the original  and/ or  post a copy...[:)]

Hopefully more history of this Aceca AE504 comes to light and Simon keeps this thread going with new material, thus  filling in those precious snippets of History.

Love to see a few pictures of Aceca AE504 as she is today, when  purchased by Simon..[;)]

Keith

SGallon

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 21:17:17 »
Thanks for the input already - I will post pics as I start to work on her and no doubt will be asking for advice

The Golf Blue has not been polished yet but flips between dark blue, black and deep green (it hasn't seen the sun yet so am expecting more variations when that happens)

I am already intrigued as to the comments re the registration. The early pics show
   XPC 680 and that is what appears on the reg docs so I assumed that was the original Reg

nikbj68

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 22:25:08 »
The registration just appears to have got mashed up with the chassis number in the registry, if anyone has access to earlier versions, it might be possible to spot when it occurred, but it looks unlikely that the reg number was anything but XPC 680.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 23:54:35 »
   Simon

Have you spoken to or e-mailed  Geoff Wilkinson  the AC Aceca registrar [?].

gpwilkinson at Hotmail dot co dot uk

According to USA  Ace Aceca Register !992  AE504 was fitted with a TR3 engine residing in the UK....Owner unknown.

Also worth contacting  Austin Weltman who used to be the registrar many moons ago, he could well recognise trhe Aceca especially with the faired in headlights a la Aston Martin DB5. e-mail :-
   Austin at Austin 100 dot plus.com

Good Luck with your research..[;)]

Keith

SGallon

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 08:01:02 »
Thanks Keith,

it seems that in 1968 she was owned by B. Dickens and had the TR3A engine installed at that time

She also had E-Type headlights hence the modified front end

I have an invoice from Sept 1998 which has 'Ford engine' and 'New nose section, bonnet and door skins' so I have quite a time gap to fill in!
   I will try and find Mr Dickens

Louism

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 09:52:43 »
Hello all,

I had an e-mail from Keith two days ago, as you have read above we have found some documents in France about an Aceca with modified front end "Aston style". Furthermore I had yesterday the name of Plumelec Hill Climb entrant, cherry on the cake I am in contact since this morning with the daughter of the driver of the car in 1968, she is going to investigate with her dad...

Of course I have no idea of the Plumelec's car identity for now but I am afraid it is not AE504, the car below is a LHD...

Warm regards
   Louis

Jo & Marc Le Beller, thank you for sharing your pictures

Louism

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 18:18:47 »
I had a message from JC Dolezal, driver of the car in 1968.
   In period the Aceca was owned by Spitzer Brothers, founders of Ecurie de France, but Dolezal does not know what the car has become...We have to ask Antoine Prunet to help us !

SGallon

• View Profile
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 16:20:55 »
Here is what she looks like for now

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
AE 504 Reg XPC 680
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 11:38:08 »
The 1968 Plumelec Aceca is not an early car because of its rounded lower windscreen corners instead of the square ones of AE 504. The change over took place after more than 100 Acecas had been built.

Jerry