Author Topic: Oil Filters - How many in CLB engine?  (Read 815 times)

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Oil Filters - How many in CLB engine?
« on: November 09, 2022, 00:23:37 »
Hello!
How many oil filters in the CLB engine? 2 or 3?

one should be metal gauze in the sump to be just cleaned up, and then an external cartridge type to be changed.

But what about the old oil filter location? it is still used? i can just see a blanking plate under the cap. but may be is a filter element stuck in?

Thanks!

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
Re: Oil Filters - How many in CLB engine?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 14:32:09 »
Hello!
what i meant to know if CLB engines have similar gauze elements (see picture attacched).
Under the cap i think i found only a blanking plate.
May be CLB engines only have the external oil filter? i dont seem to be able to pull out any gauze filter element from there, unless it is not really stuck. I dont want to apply too much force, if it is only a blaking plate.

Thanks!
Eddie

P.s.:Photo courtesy of the very informative Ac2litres youtube channel

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 15:41:59 »
Eddy
The Weller engine  basically has the strainer you have removed but a separate filter is often fitted like you have after the oil strainer, so if you want good filtering of the oil the separate filter is best ,  I would not re-fit the strainer as it does very little & rely on an independent cartridge spin on modern filter similar to that you have.
We use a 15 micron spin on filter cartridge which you can obtain from 'Think Automotive'  in Twickenham.
Some people fit a paper cartridge element but you will need an adapter to change the oil flow or the cartridge can burst, so best use an independent spin on unit!
The pressure reduction is before the filters so best to have one full flow spin on filter unit & do away with the existing strainer.
Robin

SpqrEddie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 07:54:11 »
Hello Robin,
Thank you for your answer.
When i did the oil change, i found a gauze strainer on the bottom of the sump. Where there is the oil pick up, and i have cleanded that and repalced it.

when i have opened the iron round cap at the side of the engine, where i belive in the earlier engines there was anoter strainer, i think i have found a blanking plate only, I have tried to extract it, but it doenst seems to come out. So i have not forced it. It didnt seems to be a strainer element you can extract so i left it alone in order to not damage it.
The car has an external pur o lator filter. I have cleaned it and changed the paper cardringe inside. If i understand correctly, you say that the original set up has an inversed flow that can destroy the paper cardrige as the pressure arrive from the wrong side?
Thanks!
Edmondo