Author Topic: 2 Litre brake bleed advice sought  (Read 2284 times)

Chris Hartley

• View Profile
2 Litre brake bleed advice sought
« on: February 24, 2017, 16:42:37 »
I need to bleed the 4 wheel Girling hydraulic brakes on my 1955 2 Litre but am unsure what type of fluid to use. Clearly the days of 'Girling only' oil are long gone and I will have to use a universal fluid but these days there is a bewildering variety available for different applications which did not exist in the 1940s/50s. I have plenty of Comma DOT 4 synthetic fluid available.  Would it be suitable?  Advice please, as I don't want to damage anything.

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 17:15:50 »
Hi  Chris

I use dot 4 synthetic as well. However, I would suggest you do flush all the old fluid right out of the system first, I did this with an old reservoir cap and fitted a tyre valve then used a foot pump to purge it all out, open all the bleed valves and use some small rubber hose into jars. Refill with new fluid and I did it once more with the new fluid to make sure all the old fluid had been washed through, it does waste that much fluid, then I refilled it with the bleed valves open to make sur the fluid started to run through and my able assistant watching we tightened the bleed vales topped up and bled the system in the normal way.

Hope that makes sense.

I will be doing the same again soon, once my engine is back in car.

Good luck

G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Chris Hartley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 17:27:00 »
Many thanks G!  I thought the DOT 4 would be OK, but needed someone to confirm to give me full confidence. Car in garage. All wheels off.  Adjusters locked up.  Fingers crossed!

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 16:22:48 »
Hi Chris  No problem, hope they bleed out ok.

G
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.