Author Topic: BEX 402 after 40 yr sleep  (Read 3728 times)

GaryC

• View Profile
BEX 402 after 40 yr sleep
« on: November 01, 2008, 22:14:30 »
BEX 402 was purchased in the late '60's with 25K miles by an avid private collector here in S. California.  Two years later it was repainted, the interior was freshened, and the engine was upgraded to a rebuilt D-2 Bristol. The engine and gearbox was partially installed but never run.  There it sat in a corner while surrounded by a host of other exotics for almost 40 years.

It came with the orig side curtains and bag, hood and frame, windshield, tool roll, crank handle and is an amazingly rust free, straight, correct unmolested original.  The Calif "pink slip" and black license plates are still with the car as well as receipts and correspondence from the two prior owners.

I bought it not knowing if I will fit in it which seemed almost unimportant given the opportunity to own what I consider one of the most attractive sports cars of that era.  Work is underway to get it started and replace all hydraulics.

I am going to attach a few pics (as requested) if possible of it leaving its nest. Well I tried to upload the pics with my Mac without success.  I can email them if someone else would be interested to attach to this thread.  Gary

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:29:35 »
Gary, could you also post a few pics of the tool roll too? These are very rare unto themselves. Congrats on a great find, I'm sure we all look forward to the pictures.

Peter
Peter B.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 06:52:35 »
What a fantastic find!!!! I really hope it`s in good enough shape for you to be able to keep it in 'Timewarp' condition, just replacing the mechanical neccessities.
   I did a little guide to posting photos HERE:, 5th post down, but If you email me the pics I`ll gladly host 'n' post them here, send to nikbj68 at yahoo dot co dot uk .
   Thanks for sharing!
   Nik
   p.s. there`s more photo posting info here... [:D]

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:57:12 »
BEX 402: Sleeping beauty awakes!

Are you sure this isn`t after restoration! Someone knew how to look after his toys!
   There are larger photos in Gary`s Flickr Album and I recommend you look at the 4x4 Woodie Restoration starting on page 6 & working backwards.
   Fantastic work, let`s hope the Ace needs a LOT less!!!

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:16:28 »
Nick, Thanks for posting the pics and;
   Gary, Beautiful car! Its hard to believe it sat for so long and still looks so good. As Nick said someone knew how to look after his toys. Great find and I may have some questions on fitting some aero screens in the future.
   Jay

GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 05:30:14 »
Thank you for posting the pics Nick and for the kind comments.  When I first saw the car it was under two rotted car covers and dusty and dirty.  When I picked it up the seller gave it a fresh wash.  The laquer paint has held up very well...just a few body bruises from being moved around a little and from a broken garage door spring...otherwise like new.

I have my doubts about the tool roll being correct but all the items are of English manuf.  The orig windshield has a crack and an local old college sticker from the '60's.  The first owner had good taste in cars...I'd like to think he/she was a student to remind me of those days when it was all about what you drove.  Last registered in 1982.

Jay, you are more than welcome to visit or I will email pics.

There ARE still cars in the barn!!

59 Aceca

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 05:49:41 »
Gary,

Congratulations on your find and purchase!  Beautiful car!  I am no expert, but looking at your tool roll my guess would be that the pliers, socket wrench (box spanner) and possibly the screwdriver are original to the car.  I have an AC engined Aceca and spent a year or so sourcing an original set of tools off ebay.  This was only possible because I had the benefit of an original set of tools to guide me.  What I have not been able to locate are the brake bleeder and brake adjuster, which I will source from Ron Leonard when they are available.  I know that the Bristol engined cars had a curved wrench (spanner) unique to them alone, but I have to imagine the rest of the tools were the same.  Photo below shows original tools in their original tool tray and tools sourced off ebay to the side.  If you would like more specifics on the tools, just let me know.

Have fun!

Greg