Author Topic: What to do  (Read 3583 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
What to do
« on: January 27, 2018, 18:18:49 »
Been down the garage today just finishing off the old, only got the gearbox tunnel to complete the a shakedown run next week.

However in an idle moment, I was casting my eye over my other 2 litre project car, no engine, dent in roof, and a rotten front bulkhead. So daydreaming was in order and I got to thinking maybe a radical redo was needed along the lines of making it a speedster with a roof removal, door tops removed,cut down low windscreen, no wipers, one piece removable front wings and nose cone, panel in from the rear boot top, alloy panelled interior, no bumpers, maybe a rolled rear pan and front, stainless mesh grille, full louvered bonnet, shaved door handles etc and maybe a small V8.

Mmm I wonder if an AC resto rod would work. Have to have a go at having a sketch up.

Still, have to wait and see if the bonnet and nose grille turn up first.

Oh and enjoy taking the Ol Girl out and about first.

A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
Re: What to do
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 18:07:50 »
Well just got V5 from DVLA after and re registering it after re importing the car and getting it on NOVA database. Easy done no cost from HMRC and no cost from DVLA as car was still on DVLA records just as a permanent export. DVLA were very helpful as was HMRC PTU. Now all mine.

It is now worth considering my options, as already stated a bit beyond a true rebuild/Resto so modification is the way to go. I would love to keep it looking as an AC 2 Litre.

Someone has emailed me and thinks it is sacrilege for me to consider my modifications, I have upset someone but I have replied to him with my reasons. Still cant please them all. and hey it is my car.

If I cant get the nose and bonnet I will consider a re-body as a special, a la vintage style boat tail. and I don't really want to do that.

I will post some pics of it in its current state this week, so it can be seen in its true unadulterated condition.

Cheers  keep happy  G

My car my rules.

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:04:33 »
The thought of an AC restoration rod sounds reasonable to me. The thing that differentiates any such project is the build quality. Most people look at a project with interest if it is done well and most people look at such a project with dismay if it is done poorly!
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 17:53:48 »
I think you are correct, however some bemoan with out grounds.

I believe that whatever I have done with my vehicles has always been done to my best ability and have won a few accolades along the way.

Still its my car and I will do what is best once I have looked at all possible routes to getting it back on road, but a resto rod is at the top of the list.

;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 09:20:20 by GSouthee »

My car my rules.

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 22:49:41 »
The thing is to enjoy doing it.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 10:33:09 »
Have you advertised in ACtion for the front end parts you need? Will reach a much wider audience than the forum. Also contacted the 2-litre registrar who may know of parts for sale among members?

What occurs to me is that it may be more expensive to turn this car into a resto rod than put it back to original. But as you say, that is your choice - and your money of course. Not to mention your time.  :)
Barbara

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 15:21:34 »
Graham

Cheers for info, however at present do not need the bonnet and grille as I am just awaiting to see if the original can be uncovered from the barn that it is located in. Then I shall try and find one.

As to the costs as it has no engine and gearbox, now main interior albeit a fine set of seats are there. No steering column and box (but I do have one in my spares room) no front axle but again I do have one but am using that as a work in progress  for conversion  to disc brakes for my saloon.

Also as stated dented roof, no rear windows, and rotten bulkhead.

I think the best and cheapest option is in fact resto rod/rebody.

And as for Action if it is as reliably published (not) this year as last, not sure it would be worthwhile.

Gary

My car my rules.