Author Topic: Thames Ditton Visit, 1979, in pictures.  (Read 3888 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
Thames Ditton Visit, 1979, in pictures.
« on: November 04, 2011, 14:12:52 »
This story, posted for & on behalf of Tim Isles, comes courtesy of Harley Van de Loo, the owner of AEX 115. It relates to a trip to Thames Ditton, undertaken by his brother Rob in 1979. He sent me this tale and asked that I share it with other enthusiasts. For those who remember the old factory at Thames Ditton I'm sure all will agree that it captures the really friendly atmosphere that was always so apparent.
   Tim Isles. (Photo captions also by Tim.)

Hey Harley,
   Well, I found my notebook for that trip, and it had an entry for Sunday, 22 July 1979 that I'd been to Thames Ditton. It was my last afternoon in England on that trip, as I was to turn-in my Kenning Car Hire MINI the next morning and fly back home from Heathrow.
   I'd looked for and found the factory late in the afternoon, had taken a photo of the outside and was taking a closer look at the property through a gate when I was approached from within the property by an older gentleman & his very large Alsatian dog who inquired as to what I was up to. When I identified that I was an American tourist and was looking up the factory that built my brother's 1956 AC ACE, he said he was the night-watchman and asked if I would like to come in for a look-around as long as I didn't try to pet his dog whom he said was old, deaf and would bite. I agreed, and he unlocked the gate and let me in. Over the next hour I was shown around the rambling property by this friendly man and his dog. He explained all the areas of the factory to me to the best of his abilities and told me of the projects that were ongoing. There was a beautiful modern GT car that the watchman said belonged to the "Guv'nor" and was off-the-road and being fettled. I was allowed to see and photograph everything. After an enjoyable time at the factory, when I'd seen everything at least once, I said my goodbyes to this kind man and his loyal dog and went down the road to have dinner.
   -Rob

Greyhound 8 LPA was the prototype and used by the factory for a number of years but I think by 1979 it was in the hands of a private owner.

Two nice pictures of the prototype AC 429 (on its all new square section chassis). What a pity it never went into production.

Ace 2.6 659 CGT is RS 5003 in its younger days. It was the London Motor Show car.

Some excellent shots of 3000 MEs being assembled - SPG 773R is ME #108, the 5th prototype and works demonstrator.

Finally this Ace is Harley's AEX 115.

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 15:46:40 »
What memories !!

My first and only visit to the Thames Ditton factory was around this time(1980/81)just after my Dad had bought the prototype Greyhound 8LPA direct from the factory as the cars first(and current)owner.

As a teenager I fell head over heels for the looks of the 3000ME, several of which were standing around in various states of build, and was sure this would be the car for me - 27 years passed before I actually acquired one.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:53:28 »
Tim  and Harley (& Nik)

Great photos, Capturing moments of History.
   Thank you for sharing your Brothers photos and memories.

Keith..[;)]

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 17:46:15 »
Fascinating - thanks for posting.