Author Topic: ACOC Emblem change?  (Read 4679 times)

W2EC

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:04:01 »
I've been away from the club many years and see there is a new version of the ACOC club emblem. I was wondering when the new emblem was adopted? Here is the emblem I am familiar with, I have one on each of the grills for our Ace (AEX200) and Aceca Bristol (BEX590). I believe we added them to the cars back in the late 1960's, maybe early 1970's. The old ones have gotten a little weather beaten over the last 40 or 50 years (kinda like us) and I was wondering if the old style badges were still available, or just the new ones. Just curious.

Regards, Paul & Kathy

nikbj68

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 13:01:41 »
Blimey, Paul, considering I was the first member on this forum, and you were the 2nd, it`s taken you a wee while to get around to your first post!!! Welcome back!
   Last year AC Cars Group declined the use of the 'AC' logo in the Club`s design, as detailed in the following announcement from April `11:

quote:
There follows a Statement from the ACOC Council:
   "The AC Owners Club and Acedes Holdings LLC (registered holder of certain AC trademarks) have been unable to agree mutually acceptable arrangements whereby the ACOC would receive a licence (if required) to use the AC logo in its badge. Although the club believes it has the continuing right to use the logo based on the original agreement of the manufacturers after the Club was founded in 1949 and long-standing acquiescence by successive manufacturers and trade mark owners, the ACOC is not prepared to risk club funds on court proceedings. Accordingly, an alternative title will be used by the club for the time being and is now displayed on the website. The ACOC will also include statements on their website although these confirm the existing position."

There may be a small number of 'old stock' items remaining, see the 'Regalia' section of the members` area, but if you want a period replacement, there is a very nice one on eBay at the moment.

Click pic to go to the auction.
   Regards, Nik.

W2EC

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 14:33:29 »
My goodness Nik, has it been that long already?? Time flys when it comes to ACs' !!

Thanks for the welcome back and the pointer to the badge on eBay. I think rather than hoard it to myself, I will look into having my badges re-done. That eBay badge really belongs on a PVT or something else early, not our modern Aces' and Acecas' [;)].

Sorry to hear about the troubles between Acedes Holdings and the ACOC. Seems like a real tragedy that the original close relationship seems to have developed a slight fracture with the new management. Guess I've missed quite a bit over the last few years.

Glad to be back and hope to be more active now.

Regards, Paul

nikbj68

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 15:21:24 »
The Club itself only came into being in 1949 (see Here for photos from 60th anniversary meeting), so this one would be perfect for you and (at the moment) is probably cheaper than refurbishing. They appear fairly often on eBay, although more often in the flat steel version. If yours are the same as this, Gladman & Norman are still in existence so could possibly refurbish?

W2EC

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:51:16 »
I was thinking in terms of the fact that it is the older (I believe enameled) version, which I feel would look more "period" on an older AC. Both my current badges are the flat steel painted versions. Of course the more that I look at this picture..... if only I had a 16/xx Sports to put it on!!

Regards, Paul

French Frie

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:03:54 »
sorry to hijack this thread, but I saw in ACtion that sticker, badges or umbrellas (!) are out of stock... is it planified to have new batches (maybe with new logo) made ?

terry3000me

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 19:34:14 »
Good point French Frie, are there any other members interested in purchasing regalia with the new logo?
   There is a Council meeting at the end of the month and we could discuss members ideas regarding this then.

Terry

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 20:11:35 »
Personally: no. I think it's really unfortunate we can not use the original logo. I'm quietly hoping Shep can make another inroad...

I never entered the design competition, but another thought would be to just use the silhouette side view of some of the most recognizable AC's

Of course that would not be practical as a grille badge...

nikbj68

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 22:42:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes...another thought would be to just use the silhouette side view of some of the most recognizable AC's...
Like this maybe?

From Nick Mac design;
   Quote:"The AC Owners Club...ran a competition for a re-design of their club's badge.
   We received this as a folio brief at University. While most other students were designing cursive round ac logos aesthetically similar to the old badge, I consciously went in a completely different direction.
   My Badge design is based upon an older model AC vehicle. I illustrated it in such a way that it does not replicate any particular AC vehicle too heavily as this could create division among the varying opinions of enthusiasts within the club.
   Above is a 3D render constructed in Cinema 4D to give viewers an idea of what the physical badge may look like.
"

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
ACOC Emblem change?
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 23:21:50 »
that is pretty cool!

Gus