Author Topic: I got myself some new boots!  (Read 4186 times)

duggan

• View Profile
I got myself some new boots!
« on: May 29, 2010, 15:49:47 »
Hello All,

The 212 S/C is back! It's been over at DK Engineering for the last month, having a few things sorted & a set of 15 inch wheels & Avon period style tyres fitted - here are a few photos:

And here is the latest addition - a SLK55 AMG - a modern day AC Cobra with a 5.5ltr V8 engine - sounds like rolling thunder on full chat!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 17:44:41 »
I like the look of it on 15`s with taller profile tyres, so you replaced the Ferrari with the SLK but keep hold of the 'Trottermobile'... I like your style!!!

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 21:36:36 »
They look very good!  Have you noticed any difference in the ride and handling compared to the 16's with the ZZRs?

duggan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 17:21:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019

They look very good!  Have you noticed any difference in the ride and handling compared to the 16's with the ZZRs?

The big difference is both grip and ride height - I could spin the old Avons up very easily and at full chat/revs it really did feel tail happy. With the new set-up it's a lot harder to do this and hence really does give a lot of confidence. Another big bonus is the additional few inches of ride height - makes driving the thing through the very poor surfaces that seem to be around on the UK roads at the moment, a lot easier!.

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 20:03:06 »
Thanks - sounds very tempting and should sort out the 'grounding' I experience on bumpy roads.

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 21:42:57 »
The 15 inch wheels and Avon CR6ZZ tyres are one of the best improvements you can make to any later Cobra. I have a set on my own CRS and love them and have recommended them to many other owners. However, they have one draw-back and it must be considered as a recent experience in my CRS reminded me. The Avons are road legal units based upon Avon Racing Intermediates, not wets. They are fantastic in the dry, once warmed up and good in damp road conditions if treated with respect however, they do not have a tread pattern designed for heavy standing water. The tyre cut grooves have little or no way of passing any water gathered in the centre of the tread out to the sides of the tyre, to clear it. A little enthusiastic cornering round a Milton Keynes roundabout, after hitting a small standing puddle ended with a side spin and off, across the grass verge and into a hedge, narrowly missing a large concrete lamp-post. A very chastening experience. The car gave no warning prior to it change of direction and catching it only partly redirected its sideways momentum. No damage done, apart from my pride. It just reminded me though, Cobras bite and the Avons are not for very wet usuage.