Author Topic: Progress of my Ac Aceca Restore  (Read 5313 times)

hawk289

• View Profile
Progress of my Ac Aceca Restore
« on: January 29, 2007, 21:59:22 »
Just thought you guys may like to see the current position of my Aceca restore. The car has nearly been completed [do not worry about the rear flat, old tyres]

Anyway, put the dash in last night (temporary for the moment, need to align the steering. Next stage is putting the Engine and gearbox back in. The car will be running a Zephyr engine + Reece Fish Carbs.

The car has been restored from bottom to top by a good friend who runs F H Ellis (http://www.fhellis.com/) and Graham Bates [GB Eng.]. Once complete (next few months) will post the final build.

Chassis During Restoration

Side of car [showing flat tyre!!]

Dash Picture resting in place

Last shot, other side.

John.[:D]

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 23:46:26 »
Hawk289,

But you haven't wrapped the leaf springs with that nasty, gooey, greasy stuff that AC wrapped them with! I had a new 289 spring that Autokraft sent me in 1986, supposedly the last NOS AC spring and I'm still washing that foul stuff off![:D]

Aceca looks real good....never had the pleasure of driving a 50's Aceca but did put miles on the Brooklands Aceca prototype.

Rick

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:35:42 »
great looking car, even in a not completed state. you'll have one of the nicest Aceca's I've seen.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:02:43 »
Gorgeous car! What material are the footboxes in?

Emmanuel

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:29:31 »
The car should be complete for this summer, the footboxes are the original. What we did was re-fibreglass them and painted black.

Did not re-wrap the springs, wanted to see them. We just shock blastered them up. When the body was taken off we only had to replace 3-5% of the body. I'm really pleased with the car, just getting the last few jobs complete.

I would like to take the car to the national this year!

John.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 19:47:40 »
Absolutely gorgeous car! Beautiful color. looking forward to seeing it completed!

Gus

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 20:03:37 »
Hi,

Thanks, I'm putting a lot of effort getting everything complete and right. My next project after this is restoring my Ac Ace 1957. As this one needs a major re-build it will take a long time (due to crash!). I'm currently putting another Zephyr lump in (I'm quite keen on Zephyr's due to a friend of mine who race's them. The Ace will be just for racing (ex-SCCA 1957 Prod EP). The engine will be bored out to meet FIA specifications, with Cosworth pistons, race cam and Raymond Mays gas flow head. To finish it of we are going to add triple 45 DCOE Webbers. Now the best bit, my friend Kevin gets around 245BHP (same in torque). He knows how to get the best out of the Zephyr and the Ace will way nothing (e.g. no screen, etc.) will post some pictures of the Ace during restoration.

Also not sure if anyone is interested, but some Aceca parts (e.g. rear screen) I struggled to get them, so I got a buck made of my rear window and can reproduce if required.

Anyway, will update on the Aceca when progress is moving on.

John.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 20:34:26 »
[img][/imhttp://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/AEX674/IMG_3401.jpg
   g]

[img][/ihttp://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/AEX674/IMG_3443.jpgmg]

Hopefully that went ok. Frenched in the mount plate for le mans roller gas cap and final paint

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 20:36:05 »

This link should work.

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 20:44:40 »
Like the colour, also the nose stripe really cool.

John.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 22:05:28 »
I concidered sourcing a Zephyr engine and "goign all the way" decided agains making too many changes, although my car will be far from an exacting and true restoration, I wanted to keep in spirit with the original. Hence the slow AC engine, however with some extra goodies. your car should be down right fantastic with 245 HP. Very much like the early shelby's.

I hope you will keep posting your progress. i love to see what other owners are doing with their projects.

Gus

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 17:04:01 »
Just adding the pic of Gus` rear view from above!

God I love the colour!