Author Topic: gearbox dipstick and filler  (Read 11178 times)

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
gearbox dipstick and filler
« on: July 16, 2008, 21:41:56 »
Can someone please tell me how to top up the gearbox on the 2 litre saloon with oil. It's not clearly explained in the owners manual and I've found the correct place but it feels like there something missing? There's a 3" hole in the aluminium cowling. with a pivoted cover that rotates on a rivet to reveal a 2" knurled wheel/disc. Now this is very stiff and I've assumed it's a threaded dip stick...but I've now got blisters from turning it anticlockwise (about 50 half turns and it doesn't feel like it's moving upwards....
     Just what is the arrangement of the dipstick/filler hole?
    Thanks.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 21:57:22 »
If you go to the links section there is a '2-lire web site' which is very helpful, in the menu is a maintenance section, the web owner is very helpful also as he has been involved with a 2-litre car for many years.

Robin

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:52:59 »
Thanks Robin...yes I've been using Ian's site a lot and have had quite a bit of help already...especially with removal and cleaning of the fuel tank I did last weekend.
    Funny....last night I thought it would be quicker to post on here, as it's quite a routine maintenance job!
    I'll ask Mr Strange!

cassiewoofer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 13:23:27 »
Problem solved, for the record the dipstick is not threaded it's just a tight, slightly conical cork type push fit seal, which was rotating.
    My grandad had tied a piece of shoelace to the dipstick to aid pulling but this had dropped down out of sight.