Author Topic: Greyhound drive shafts  (Read 3655 times)

tdperth

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« on: July 21, 2015, 13:55:07 »
Hello all,

Help requested again please.

I have just had the joints replaced on the drive shafts and the drivers side one also had to have a new splined shaft fitted.

My question is this. The original splines were 75mm long but the replacement is 54mm will this be a problem?

The fit is very good in the hub and the overall length is right its just the length of the mating surfaces with the shorter splines that concerns me.

Thanks, Trevor

tdperth

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 13:58:02 »
I have pictures but i don't  know how to upload them.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 14:22:13 »
Trevor
   The drawing calls for the spline to be three inches & the overall shaft length to be 6 & 5/8" from the shaft end to the centreline of the Spicer joint, so 54mm or 2" spline length is therefor too short, maybe an owner might confirm this to be the case.
   The female spline length in the hub is about 5", you might experience more wear with the 2" long male spline considering the spline diameter is 1.5", I would think it safer to have the correct length spline it will be also better supported!
   Robin

nikbj68

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 17:07:29 »
Here is the comparison of Trevor`s new & old driveshafts:

tdperth

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:52:59 »
Thanks all. I took it back to be re-done with the correct 3" spline.

tdperth

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:26:07 »
Does anyone know where I can get a new yoke and shaft end with the 3" splines on it to replace the 2" one fitted as a replacement? My rebuilder in WA is having trouble finding a 3" one.
   Thanks all
   Trevor

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 11:56:59 »
I would expect the drive shaft was made specially for AC the Hardy Spicer Drawing number is 59-0113, so you probably need to go to a Hardy Spicer agent to get one, they do have a variety of components & I expect the splined shaft is welded onto a standard yoke!

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Greyhound drive shafts
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 09:16:36 »
Trevor
   I have been in contact with GKN/Hardy Spicer in UK who whilst they do not have the original Spicer drawing believe they can help you, I have contact details for there expert in WA so please Email me & I will forward the details ' robin.woolmer@talktalk.net '

Robin