Author Topic: Fuel pipe leaks  (Read 4018 times)

justnow

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« on: September 15, 2016, 11:49:25 »
Every 400 km the fuelpipe that goes into the solex carbuartors gets loose to an extend that fuel Comes out. I got used to check it reulary and tighted the Banjo Connection. Is there any permanent solution for this? Thank you as always BEX 312

Jam2

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 11:59:38 »
Is the pipe in question flexible or solid, if solid a change to flexible may help. What about new washers, are the existing a bit too squashed?

justnow

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 12:33:29 »
ist a solid fuel pipe that connect all three carbuartors. I think this is original. Washers are pretty new. And carbuartors are freshly restored.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 13:05:10 »

Willhelm.

The brass banjos expand as they get hot, thereby compressing the fibre washer, as the engine cools down the banjo will contract to its original size
   but the fibre washer may retain the indentation , which will create  a fuel leak next time you start the engine.

Are the three banjo's all  making contact with each Solex  at the same time or do you need a thicker washer on one banjo [?].

If the banjo's are coming loose then I suggest you drill through each hex head and lock wire them.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN,  as the Solex Carburettor tops are made of Mazak which will crack, if so salvage the top by fitting a helicoil..[;)]

I use fibre washers, have you tried using copper washers.[?], they would expand and contract in unison with the brass banjo's and
   may well cure your problem.[?]

Open to suggestions...

Keith

Keith

justnow

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 17:43:58 »
Thanks Keith as always very helpful. Will try coper washers first. Very difficult to find out if the banjo's are coming loose or if the Problems are coming from the washers. I at least can always tighten the Banjos a Little bit. And thank you for the warning. will Report but first will enjoy the last sunny days:-)

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 18:25:18 »
You could consider a 'Dowty' Seal/washer they are metal washers with a bonded seal in the ID used in aircraft hydraulics originally

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 01:43:54 »
   Robin.

Interesting, I have thought of using "Dowty" washers but never ventured any further.
   Have you Actually used them in this application [?]

We use plenty of them in  some of our Hydraulic Gate Operators and Barriers and have proved to be very reliable and trouble free, pity they are not the size I need or I may well have tried / tested and suggested this route.

Keith.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:20:07 »
Keith
   I use them for my oil feed system, have not used them for petrol feed as yet, not sure what other sizes are available other than BSP.

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Fuel pipe leaks
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 10:31:43 »
Keith
   Have checked & metric sizes are produced as well, also there are other versions of that type of seal, a company called 'Barnwell ' in UK has many types, they are a traditional seal producer so may be worth talking to there technical people!
   Robin