Author Topic: UK MOTs and the 428 ?  (Read 11844 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« on: March 30, 2008, 14:28:57 »
No idea of the boot layout in the 428 convertible, but the only time I ever looked inside a fastback's at what I was told was the "fuel cross feed pipe" (?) and which ran uncomfortably close and parallel to the rear bumper, I've always wondered ever since about the obvious safety aspects and relevant official UK MOT requirements (and those of abroad too). Especially in the unfortunate event of a bad rear end shunt ?

Having been most memorably rammed very hard indeed from behind twice, once by a lorry on a damp road who'd already been too close and therefore braked far too late almost writing my car off, it's always seemed to me to be the most dangerous place of all to put it in the first place !

If this still is the standard fastback layout any owner's views would be very interesting ! [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 20:17:28 »
The 428 convertible has one gas tank mounted above the rear end, right under the convertible boot. The coupe has two gas tanks mounted low in the rear fenders with a large fuel cross over pipe to equalize the fuel in both tanks. This pipe could be removed and a Jaguar XJ system could be installed to run both tanks separately. However, there could be stability issues in having too much weight on one side of the car. Drivers would have to flip the switch and equalize like aircraft pilots learn to do. There are things one can do to make the the fuel tanks safe like racers do, like using liners inside etc.

Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 20:47:26 »
Thanks. However it's not the fuel tanks I was thinking of, rather the existing location and a possible major rupture of the cross feed pipe itself with all its possible consequences. Re-routing them elsewhere well out of harm's way somehow ? And why I would have thought this was definitely something that would mean an automatic failure these days until relocated elsewhere during any country's annual road safety test ? Our MOT tests being annual...

Emmanueld

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:08:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

Thanks. However it's not the fuel tanks I was thinking of, rather the existing location and a possible major rupture of the cross feed pipe itself with all its possible consequences. Re-routing them elsewhere well out of harm's way somehow ? And why I would have thought this was definitely something that would mean an automatic failure these days until relocated elsewhere during any country's annual road safety test ? Our MOT tests being annual...

What you are talking about is the pipe which is there to equilibrate fuel within both tanks I suspect. You could move it but it would be in the middle of the trunk, hardly practical! or go to a jag system like I described above and do away with it altogether! Also the tanks are located all the way at the back so if you get rear ended, the tanks will be smashed as well! [:)]

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:16:08 »
When did an MOT inspector last look inside your boot? I don`t recall it ever happening in my 20 years of car ownership! Even if it ran under the car, I doubt there is anything specifically in the regs covering that. Beyond condition & fit, I don`t think the MOT tester is interested, to the point where cars not originally manufactured with rear seatbelts, foglights, indicators etc. are not required to install them...but I`ll ask a mate who is an MOT tester later.
   p.s. I too have been hit hard from behind, by a skip lorry. I was stopped at a roundabout & the lorrydriver was leaning out of the window cheering & waving at Swindon Town FC passing in an open-topped double decker bus when they went up to the first division. Crunch!!! His front bumper stopped about a foot from the back of my head!

aaron

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 22:03:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

When did an MOT inspector last look inside your boot? I don`t recall it ever happening in my 20 years of car ownership! Even if it ran under the car, I doubt there is anything specifically in the regs covering that. Beyond condition & fit, I don`t think the MOT tester is interested, to the point where cars not originally manufactured with rear seatbelts, foglights, indicators etc. are not required to install them...but I`ll ask a mate who is an MOT tester later.
   p.s. I too have been hit hard from behind, by a skip lorry. I was stopped at a roundabout & the lorrydriver was leaning out of the window cheering & waving at Swindon Town FC passing in an open-topped double decker bus when they went up to the first division. Crunch!!! His front bumper stopped about a foot from the back of my head!

I

aaron

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 22:06:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

I hope the skip lorry driver was prosecuted for driving with undue care and attention,and I hope you put a claim in for whiplash,wether you had it or not for the inconvenience

nikbj68

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 15:17:18 »
As it was a company car, my company insisted the lorry driver was prosecuted but I didn`t claim any personal injury....it wasn`t done(much) then!

TLegate

• View Profile
UK MOTs and the 428 ?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 17:26:01 »
and it never did never did never did you any harm...