Author Topic: Cobra, The first 40 years. Awesome!  (Read 10457 times)

kiwi427

• View Profile
Cobra, The first 40 years. Awesome!
« on: July 05, 2007, 07:42:16 »
I am new to this forum and it was a nice surprise to see Trevor Legate as a contributor. My kind wife presented me a copy of your book for Christmas 06 and I must say it is the best publication on the subject I had read to date. I have now read it twice. Informative text and beautiful images. Well done! and thankyou.

Kind Regards,
                 Nigel Townsend, New Zealand.

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 16:00:21 »
Yes,
   a great read and well done. The honorable Mr. Legate is quite the author when he's off the sauce!

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 16:44:16 »
OH don`t tell me I need to bring the beers in here too?!
   Welcome aboard & good luck in your search for a Frua, Nigel.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 16:52:29 »
Kome outshide and shay that Mr. Muck - I'll take you both on (actually now you know why I don't write many books...me secret's out)

I was about to say, in all seriousness, before MkIV put the boot in, thank you kindly Mr.Townsend and welcome to the site. I'm delighted your wife has perfect taste when it comes to purchasing books. 'Twas nothing of course, just 7 years of toil and heartache - and still nothing to show for it. Oh dear. Back to playing piano in a house of ill-repute. But reading it twice shows a certain - dedication? Mind you, I lost count how many times I read it and someone still transposed a caption and we nearly ended up with the printers info on one page! It was quite a job just putting it all together. I'm still in recovery mode. However, the good news is that I do have a few limited-edition, leather-bound copies of the book left, of the 50 produced, and every serious library should contain one such tome. Visit www.touchstone-books.com for more info. End of outrageous plug.

I assume that 'kiwi427' denotes an affiliation to a certain marque of Cobra - could it be that your car featured in a magazine article entitled Fierce Creatures, in NZ Classic Cars, or am I on the wrong trail?

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 16:54:37 »
and just when I thought I was safe from nikbj......

kiwi427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:29 »
Thanks Trevor and like yourself I have been captivated by these fiesty little sportscars since my childhood and although we were along way from the action down here in NZ I purchased every magazine I could find to keep up with happenings in the AC / shelby world.
   Decades passed and I became qualified as an automotive engineer with the desire to drive a Cobra as strong as ever. Knowing I would  probably never own a genuine CSX car and I guess this is where I should apologise, I set about building a kit car ( sorry all! I am not sure if this site is replica friendly ). I understand.
   10 years on I finished the car and my good wife and I are very happy with the end result and it gives us great pleasure on Saturday afternoons in the countryside.
   I based it on a 1965 427. I used a correct 427 for power, 4 speed toploader, salsbury 2.88:1 rear axle, Hallibrands and all the authentic bits. Looks good in British racing green.
   But now I hanker for a new project and hopefully that will be a frua fastback. A long shot I know but maybe I will get lucky.
   I have had much experience with the FE ford engines especially 428 and 427 and always happy to share advice to any fellow big block owners.
   Anyway thanks for the welcome.

Nigel.