Author Topic: AE 20, Tojeiro protoype, fo sale in US  (Read 3440 times)

alexG

• View Profile
AE 20, Tojeiro protoype, fo sale in US
« on: January 05, 2017, 14:30:06 »
http://danrapley.com/sale/coming-soon-ac-tojiero-prototype/

A lot of info and early photos and clips on this link.

Price unknown!

scud

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 15:04:15 »
Not bad value at £1300.

alexG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 17:24:43 »
might be a tad more...if its 'only' 2 or 3% say of what CX2000 sold for ($13.75m) then, hey its a bargain....

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 00:04:11 »
Fascinating collection of press clippings if you follow the link in the first post. Although these have been reproduced over the years the second clipping is new to me and  shews Cliff Davis and David Blakeley competing in AE20. Both members of a hard partying motor racing group of friends which came to include Ruth Ellis and was the background to the well known tragedy which took the lives of Blakeley and then Ellis. A slight connection with the Ace which I had not noticed til now.......

alexG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 17:58:01 »
The car appeared as part of the Simeone display and we managed to get some current photos.

It has been bought from Daniel Rapley by JD Classics and will presumably be shortly on its way back to UK and, no doubt appear on their website for sale.

So a famous car in the Ace history returns, although it could well end up somewhere else of course!

It still has the Ford 2.6 engine that dates back to the 1970's. Interestingly the chassis no in the old UK log book is Ace 501. I have no idea where that came from

Will Mahany

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 03:23:48 »
Nice project.  Not an AC subject as such but... Blakely also had an H.R.G connection and did the Goodwood 9 hours in 1952 and 1953 in one of the 1949 H.R.G Le Mans Lightweight team cars latterly fitted with H.R.G Engineering's new twin cam engine at that time which was on loan to him.  When he was shot, H.R.G quickly took their engine back, the car fell on hard times and did not turn a wheel for many years. My Father bought the car, with its older engine back in it, in 1972 and I "helped" with various bits of the car as a boy and dreamt of one day racing it. It was one of those long re-builds and during the project Father found the twin cam engine in a chain-gang Nash and re-united it.  Eventually I got to race it and memorably did 50 laps of Snetterton in it once.