Author Topic: Oil in Coolant  (Read 2222 times)

linklaw

• View Profile
Oil in Coolant
« on: July 14, 2010, 12:11:31 »
I just got my MK IV inspected last week and was looking forward to an enjoyable summer of driving. After a 100 mile drive over the weekend, on Monday I went to check the coolant level and discovered that the header tank contained a significant amount of oil. I drove the car only about 200 miles last year and noticed that the engine was down over a quart of oil. Now I know where it went. I suspect that I have a bad head gasket. There is no coolant in the oil and I have read that the head gasket can blow between an oil passage and coolant passage allowing oil to get into the coolant. Does anyone have any other ideas or theories about this that involve something less than engine disassembly? All ideas appreciated. John

1984MkIV

• View Profile
Oil in Coolant
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 17:08:45 »
In most cases oil in the cooling water is caused by a damaged head gasket. I guess the only other way to get oil into the cooling water is to use the wrong filler cap [;)]. Normally the leak gets worse and usually oil in the cooling water will result in an overheating of the engine, which will definetly at first destroy the head gasket, then maybe some other engine components.
   I´m not an engine expert but have some experience working on engines. And I had that sort of problem with my Duett Volvo. I would ask an expert. It is not only important to check the gasket, but in case of damage to find out why it was damaged (overheating?). As far as I know, BP has a large number of experts for oil leaks [:D]!

Cheers

Michael

jbottini

• View Profile
Oil in Coolant
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 00:15:33 »
Jojimhn, give me a call...this is unusual and the diagnosis is somewhat nthe key to the repair.