Author Topic: MK4 Clutch Switch, what is it?  (Read 3005 times)

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
MK4 Clutch Switch, what is it?
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:58:40 »
Hi All, Can anyone tell me what the switch assembly is for that's mounted on the clutch side of the pedal box? (its not the brake light switch). There is a plastic plunger that bolts onto the pedal lever. Mine is broken and whatever it does, it doesn't seem to be causing any adverse problem. Can I take it off permanently?. The Switch has the part number E6ZB-11A156 -AA EHI 7034B and is a Ford part. Thanks,Steve.

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 21:44:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Cobra

Hi All, Can anyone tell me what the switch assembly is for that's mounted on the clutch side of the pedal box? (its not the brake light switch). There is a plastic plunger that bolts onto the pedal lever. Mine is broken and whatever it does, it doesn't seem to be causing any adverse problem. Can I take it off permanently?. The Switch has the part number E6ZB-11A156 -AA EHI 7034B and is a Ford part. Thanks,Steve.

Check out this link, it may help:
   http://ffcars.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1971510
   Art

Kiwi Cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 16:20:24 »
Thats it exactly thanks, now I understand what it is, I googled 'clutch safety switch' and read a bit more on the subject.I must admit I've never heard of them before. I'm interested in other peoples opinions, I always check the car is in neutral before starting anyway so for me its probably redundant. Do others rate it as important?.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 17:15:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi Cobra

Thats it exactly thanks...I always check the car is in neutral before starting anyway so for me its probably redundant...

I thought they stopped the starter turning when the clutch is not depressed, whether the car is in gear or not, so do you always have the pedal down as well as having checked for neutral? I know I do both, but this is not a feature on british spec vehicles A.F.A.I.K.