Author Topic: paint stripping  (Read 12851 times)

Cobrajet

• View Profile
paint stripping
« on: August 16, 2007, 17:03:58 »
Just out of interest, we had the 428 Frua dipped to strip all the paint and underseal from it. Great process and not over expensive.
   saved hours and hours of work, came out without an ounce of paint on it.
   down side is that it removes all the lead from the apertures, in this case a couple of inches of filler from the wings rear panel and boot lid. As i said to Emmanuel poor old car was a bit punch drunk and very poorly repaired.
   Alan

cliffordl

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:46:37 »
Would love to see some photos if you are able to post.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 18:57:48 »
Alan, How are you going to make sure there is no moisture left in the chassis tubes and outriggers? The British made parts of the car are great but the Italian made parts are just horrible, The steel is of poor quality. I think residual moisture can be a problem with dipping the whole thing, how do you make sure the water is all gone?

Emmanuel

Cobrajet

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 16:07:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by cliffordl

Would love to see some photos if you are able to post.

Clifford will post some pictures soon, have to be careful as it is a customers car
   Alan

Cobrajet

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:47:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Alan, How are you going to make sure there is no moisture left in the chassis tubes and outriggers? The British made parts of the car are great but the Italian made parts are just horrible, The steel is of poor quality. I think residual moisture can be a problem with dipping the whole thing, how do you make sure the water is all gone?

Emmanuel

Emmanuel. the box members are full of  corrosion holes so most of them are being replaced, The ones that are not have  new holes drilled in them to allow the eventual application of the e coat, and fitted with rubber bungs to seal them off, standard corrosion protection technique. The chasis tubes had quite a lot of water in them before dipping any way.
   If you go to www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk you will get a better idea of the process.Only problem being that obviously it has to be  a bare shell. Saves hours and hours of work and messy chemicals.
   Can anyone supply dimensions for the front panel as it is so badly bent that the existing dimensions are not easily defined. If any one could let us have access to another car to measure and photograph would be most grateful. Can you tell me how to post pictures? running xp
   Alan[:(!]
   Alan

Emmanueld

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 06:29:48 »
Alan, just tell me which panel!

Emmanuel

Cobrajet

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 13:49:35 »
quote:

Alan, just tell me which panel!

Emmanuel

Emmanuel
   Thanks for the reply, it is the front panel where the Grille is, extending to the bonnet between the front wings, will post a picture if you can tell me how to  post them. Much better with cars than I am with computers
   Alan

Emmanueld

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 15:34:34 »
Alan, go to the following thread:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/acoc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=145

I use Photobucket, Hope this helps!

Emmanuel

cliffordl

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 08:48:44 »
Alan,

if you can't find anything closer you are welcome to come down to Sussex and measure the panels on CF25

Cliff.

nikbj68

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 07:34:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cobrajet
   Just out of interest, we had the 428 Frua dipped to strip all the paint and underseal from it. Great process and not over expensive.
   saved hours and hours of work, came out without an ounce of paint on it...Alan

quote:
Originally posted by cliffirdlWould love to see some photos if you are able to post.

If you look in this month`s 'Classics Monthly',(The RUST issue!)
    there is a feature on the company who dipped your car, and it is in a few pictures.
   NOTE: Beware the fate of the Facel Vega, which was dipped with Aluminium bonnet & wiring left on. They weren`t there after!
   [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 18:21:33 »
Dipping is a problem in areas where you cant easily take the water and acid out. Personally it would not be my method of choice for the Frua for that reason. Unless you uncap the main tubes and dry them thoroughly and replace all the outriggers you will have a problem in the future!

Emmanuel

Cobrajet

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 13:49:43 »
quote:

Dipping is a problem in areas where you cant easily take the water and acid out. Personally it would not be my method of choice for the Frua for that reason. Unless you uncap the main tubes and dry them thoroughly and replace all the outriggers you will have a problem in the future!

Emmanuel

It does save hours and hours of work. The e coat is supposed to penetrate all the areas that the acid does, will let you know what happens
   Cobrajet
   Alan

Cobrajet

• View Profile
paint stripping
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 13:53:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by cliffordl

Alan,

if you can't find anything closer you are welcome to come down to Sussex and measure the panels on CF25

Cliff.

Sorry been away for a while, Thanks I think it would be a good idea to come along and have a look if you dont mind, could exchange a few pictures and details as well.
   Thanks again
   Cobrajet
   Alan