Author Topic: Dash Plaques and Racing History BEX375  (Read 3356 times)

pls01

• View Profile
Dash Plaques and Racing History BEX375
« on: January 02, 2010, 19:52:41 »
Shown are some typical East Coast SCCA dash plaques for BEX375.  The picture is at the Mt Washington Hill Climb.  Unfortunately the dash plaque is missing but I do have 2nd place trophy

The Mt Washington hill climb is a bit different from the British speed hill climb.  The course is 7.6 miles, starts at an elevation of 1600' and ends at 6288'.  It has had some paving but at the time was mostly gravel.

Peter S

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 18:51:13 »
Hi Peter

Great to see other period competition plaques / Dashboard plaques,
   I didnt think you were that Old, So assume these were collected when your Dad (R.) owned BEX375 and competed in various race or Hill climb events in the 1950s & 1960s.

Do you have any other ACtion Period photos of BEX375? Do you still compete with it in races / Hillclimbs and/or sprints [?]

It's nice to know that many Aces have recorded competition history and even better to learn that they are still being used and enjoyed as intended when they left Thames Ditton 50+ years ago.

Unfortunetly in the UK we dont have hillclimbs of 5/6 0r 7miles, However It reminds me of September 2003 when we partook in the 50th Anniversary Ollons Villars Hillclimb in the shadow of Mont Blanc. 4 or 5 runs  on Saturday and a further  4 or 5 runs Sunday up the 8Km course taking in 7 tight hairpin bends with the average gradient of 8.3% and maximun gradient of 11%. Using all the road passing through villages and forest, From sunlight to shadow and back into bright sunlight. Great Challenge and great fun, enjoyed by many ACOC members as part of the 2003 ACOC International.

Keith [:)]

pls01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:18:07 »
Keith,
   Yes, my father raced the Ace until about '64 and then switched to formula cars.  I have other period photos but the good ones are all framed.  I dig through the archives and see what else is available.

I don't compete with the car, but put on about 1500 miles annually touring and going to meets.  In the USA, serious vintage racing requires all the modern safety equipment.  While probably for the best, I don't want to modify the car further.

While the UK hill climbs are shorter, they are a mad blast and require total concentration.  I've read about a few like Shelsley Walsh.
   Peter S

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:17:55 »
Peter

yep !! your right  "Mad Dogs and Englishmen " come to mind.

In England all forms of motor sport are taken very seriously
   (Competitive Nation, Us Brits) for example check out  "Goodwood Revival" and "Goodwood Festival of Speed".

Would appreciate any period photos of your Dad competing with
   BEX375 during the 1950s & 1960s. Dare say other members would also like to see them, any chance of scanning and posting on the Forum.

Keep using the Ace, I do between 5000 miles/7000 miles per year in BEX333,the more they are used the better they are, mind you one day I will have retrim the interior,it's well past its sell by date.[V]

Keith   [:)]

tinnes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 19:50:12 »
Peter -

These are great memories - especially since the Mt. Washington event may not be run again.

My Ace, AEX456, was purchased new in New Hampshire by a fellow named Shelby Walker. Mr Walker apparently raced and hill-climbed the car for a number of years before selling it to another fellow from MA named Tom Ellsworth (also a member of this esteemed group). The car is "substantially" original, having been re-painted once in the '70s or early '80s. If you come across a burgundy color Ace in your collection it could be AEX456. I would love to see pictures of the car from that era.

Thanks and regards - tom i AEX456, BE772

pls01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 15:31:21 »
Tom,
   You've stirred some other AC memories.

My parents mentioned racing with Shelby Walker a number of times.  Being very small at the time, I can't remember him personally.  I met Tom Ellsworth at a VSCCA event.

Here's some other names.  Rod DeRonge had a red Ace Bristol and raced with and against my father.  They also entered BEX375 in the 6 hours of Watkins Glen, but an engine failure at a prior local event prevented them from competing.  Rod sold his red Ace Bristol to Shelby Walker.

Rod DeRonge and Jim Shellington, another local racer, bought a wrecked Ace Bristol.  I believe it was the one wrecked at Sebring.  I can recheck this with Jim.  Anyway, they did not get it repaired and sold it on.

Would like to see and compare cars, notes and photos sometime
   Peter