Author Topic: Aluminium Heads on Weller 6-Cylinder Engines  (Read 11627 times)

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Aluminium Heads on Weller 6-Cylinder Engines
« on: May 14, 2008, 15:44:43 »
Does anybody have any Factory information on the use of Aluminium Heads in the Vintage period fitted to the 6-cylinder Weller engines?
   The club has a record of a 1926 2-seater special being fitted but i need AC Factory records of this which may be in the form of the original documentation issued to the customer or an options list if such still is available.
   It would be nice to find Chassis Number 13335 which is documented by the club as being fitted!

I hope you can assist

Regards

Robin

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:50:41 »
Robin,

I recalled an SF Edge Special being sold at an auction at Olympia a number of years ago, though I cannot find the catalogue now. However I looked through back issues of The Automobile and found that it was at Brooks sale on 2 Dec 1996. "An aluminium finished AC S.F.Edge Special Sports 2-seater dating from 1924 sold for £9,000 - a bargain. This was a very nice example...." (Automobile Feb '97 Page 37"

In the same issue David Howard has an advert on page 87 for a "1924 AC S.F. Edge Special Sports 6-cylinder 2-seater with dickey. Finished in aluminium and dark green with matching leather. Shipped new to Australia as Works demonstrator. Fitted triple carbs and sold new with 80mph Brooklands guarantee." Possibly this is the same car. From the photo in David's advert the registration number of his car is SV 4587.

I am not sure whether this might be chassis no 13335 which is listed in the register as ex works 1926, but does not quote a registration number.

Hope this might help put you on the track of this example.

John Davison

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:03:30 »
John
   Thanks for input i will look at my back issues & find the information, that is very helpful, i actually recieved my first head casting this morning in aluminium & will put photographs on my web site shortly. ' www.ac-engine.com '
   The key issue is having written Factory specifications of the fitting of aluminium heads so it can be classified as 'standard' rather than 'modified' under VSCC rules. This is important to racing guy's.

Robin