Author Topic: Rest and Be Thankful  (Read 14624 times)

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 13:47:52 »
Well a merry band of AC enthusiasts were able to gather for dinner at the Kenmore hotel on Saturday 20th April evening and the run to the Rest and be thankful on the Sunday.
   We had about 17 enthusiasts arround and about at the weekend with 15 for dinner,and that was achieved with 2 cars reluctanty withdrawing due to last minute commitments.
   Many thanks for those who came and made the effort. We certainly used our cars on drive it day-some a little to much.

Unfortunately our AC numbers on the day of the run  were depleted from 8 AC's to 4 due to Thames Ditton Cobra reliability issues,and the other ACe & Greyhound unable to attend,but this was compensated for by the Brooklands Cobras making 3 extra runs each.
   We also had a lovely Ace and and Aceca complete the AC line up both running Michelin x's.
   A Rolls Royce and a Camper van made history on the Hill climb.
   I do believe that the camper was red lined,and they are busy sorting out the crockery & cutlery as I type.
   Unfortuntely David Sandersons Auto union streamliner never made the line up due to RAC duties.
   The reliability issues did mean we had a few photographers.
   The new surface is superb,and keeping to all the old lines and areas of "trickery",even in driving rain and I post a few pictures for those interested. Some stunning scenery,and some fantastic full throttle driving on both days.
   Many thanks to Stephen & Dianne for their hospitality at the rest & putting up the Start & Finish barriers & some informal timings.
   I hope the  RAF & "peat" project go down well.
   Photograph's courtesy of Barrie Bird & Roger Grundy.
   A stunning shot of 2033 in a remote glen:

The deer hunter:

Those that made it to Inverarry-it was sunny there:

ominous signs at the rest:

Start!

The contenders:

Malcolm laying down some rocks for the rest of us:

Barrie brought his chauffeur:

Finish:

Shame we could not get an AC 2 litre up this year.
   Hopefuly Malcolm will be along with video footage links one he has cleared up all those rocks.
   Regards,
   Graham

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 00:41:53 »
Fabulous photos. Looks like a cold and wet affair though!

BBK

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:21 »
What a great event!  It looks like a lot of fun.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:18 »
great shots! Looks like a super tarmac. Can take the Cobra out of 4WD mode now :-)

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:17 »
And this is the photograph Graham did not want you to see: Look carefully and you will see 50 yards of wheelspin on the near side tyre. So that is likely his brand new Khumo 50% worn on its first run out.....

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 13:06:12 »
Yes its now the same tread depth as a new Avon CR6ZZ........

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 21:50:07 »
Having motored for 53 years and always arrived at destination, albeit with some mechanical or electrical ingenuity from time to time, I was finally defeated on my way to The Rest when 33's diff. cried enough after a splendid run through Glen Orchy. No bangs or clatters - just the faintest amount of drive - enough to get up to walking pace going downhill.
   Thanks to Good Samaritans David and Allison the old machine was soon recovered and on her way home. Stripping the Salisbury diff. proved to be a lot more difficult. One drive shaft tapped straight out, as normal, but the other took a 10 tonne press. It had stripped its splines and was stuck in the differential gear. Here is the gory photograph:

It seems that these shafts are more commonly failing than in the past and Ashley, eldest son and an aerospace engineer, reckons they may be reaching their limit on cycles. They seem to have coped well over the years with large power inputs, even the mighty 427. In any event rebuilding using old components is maybe not the first choice.......

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 21:34:31 »
Sausage egg mc muffin.

The latest MacDonalds advert (At least being screened in Scotland) shows Barrie (Fleetingly) en route down the Rest to get his breakfast. The well trained sheep are waiting.

Barrie-Just think if you did not use your TDC it would last a lot longer.

Graham

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 15:24:04 »
Yes - not using the old Thames Ditton Cobra ain't an option, in spite of  advancing years (car and driver.) I found out some more about drive shafts and will put it on the Cobra forum. Meantime it looks as though Graham is watching too much TV. Needs to get out more, preferably in that CRS...

SB7015

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 23:15:22 »
Here is the link of my edited YouTube footage of a run up the newly tarmaced 'Rest & Be Thankful Hillclimb'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlA41a2RRuc

We had suffered severe rain and hail prior to and during practice. Sadly two of the Thames Ditton brigade did not quite make it and the Mk IV, CRS & Superblower contingent made up 50% of the turn out.

A great time was had by all. Many thanks to Graham & Barrie for the organising the event.

Malcolm

nikbj68

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 00:02:32 »
OH NO! The video appears to be set to 'private'!
   It must be good if the plebs ain`t allowed to see it!!!

BBK

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 01:10:19 »
I would love to see it as well!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 15:44:19 »
That should be it viewable now. Nice footage Malcolm.

quote:
Originally posted by Spikey-fish

Here is the link of my edited YouTube footage of a run up the newly tarmaced 'Rest & Be Thankful Hillclimb'.

We had suffered severe rain and hail prior to and during practice. Sadly two of the Thames Ditton brigade did not quite make it and the Mk IV, CRS & Superblower contingent made up 50% of the turn out.

A great time was had by all. Many thanks to Graham & Barrie for the organising the event.

Malcolm

BBK

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 15:52:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Spikey-fish

Malcolm

Great footage. Thank you for sharing.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Rest and Be Thankful
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 19:37:40 »
Fantastic! What a difference a year makes, compared to your Previous run!