Author Topic: badges  (Read 3802 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
badges
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:07:33 »
Hi everyone,

Is anyone aware of a source for the AC badges for the bonnet and rear deck lid, either reproduction or original?

Thanks,

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 05:21:42 »
Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.europaspares.com/COBRA_SPARES/BADGES/AC_CONVEXED_BADGE___CS272__4074.html

Its on the other side of the pond, but at least they are available. I will be needing to order one in the future for myself.

Jay

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 16:40:04 »
That would be it, thanks!

Gus

59 Aceca

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 06:35:57 »
Gus and Jay,

I don't know how fussy you are, but the reproduction badges are missing a fair amount of detail.  I currently have a couple of them mounted on my Aceca.  Over the course of about a year I've sourced two originals on Ebay (from the UK) and will be putting them on the car soon.  The photo below illustrates what I'm talking about.  The one on the right is the reproduction, the one on the left an original.  They come up from time to time.  If you're not in a hurry, I think they're worth the wait!

- Greg

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 19:41:40 »
I think you're right, they are a lot nicer original.

Gus

aex125

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:04:48 »
Greg,
   Thanks for the picture and you are right there is a significant difference. It looks like they have buffed all of the detail out of the mold. Unfortunately they do not seem to come available over here very often so they are tough to obtain.I guess we need to watch the UK E-bay as you have been doing.
   Jay

Aceca289

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:11:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by 59 Aceca

Gus and Jay,

I don't know how fussy you are, but the reproduction badges are missing a fair amount of detail.  I currently have a couple of them mounted on my Aceca.  Over the course of about a year I've sourced two originals on Ebay (from the UK) and will be putting them on the car soon.  The photo below illustrates what I'm talking about.  The one on the right is the reproduction, the one on the left an original.  They come up from time to time.  If you're not in a hurry, I think they're worth the wait!

- Greg

Greg

Are you sure your "reproduction badges" are not the original badges that have been re-chromed?
   John

59 Aceca

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 15:29:35 »
John,

My initial thought was that the badges were rechromed.  However, after speaking with a local chrome shop, I learned that the rechroming process does not destroy any detail that was there originally.  What further led me to conclude that the badges on the car are reproductions is that they look very similar to the product photo on Jay's link (background of badge essentially smooth).

Greg

Aceca289

• View Profile
badges
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:19 »
Anyone following this post should check the new post on the general forum entitled "AC Emblem Inquiry".