Author Topic: Power steering, dimensions , body parts  (Read 12411 times)

Cobrajet

• View Profile
Power steering, dimensions , body parts
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:05 »
Looking to convert a 1969 AC 428 Frua Coupe to PAS, anybody got any idea what rack would replace the existing.
   Also looking for dimensions to straighten the distorted front panel wing and left hand a post, any help would be appreciated.
   How do I get acccess to the spares stock list for the Frua.Looking for a boot lid sills front wings, front panel
   Alan  Hobbs

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 18:41:01 »
Hi Alan,

Since the Frua's rack is MGB, you should look into racks used for MGB or MGC power steering conversion kits. As far as the pump is concerned, I would look at 1968 to 1973 big block mustang items. Pump, bracket and alternator bracket (Alternator will have to be moved and the header tank will have to be replaced by a Ford item like the 427 MKIII). I am not sure if they will fit without engine bay modifications. However, I don't know why you want to install power steering, the steering is quite light anyway. By replacing iron heads and manifold with aluminum items, you save about 300 Lbs up front making the steering effort even lighter.

Regarding body parts, find yourself a good metalsmith and have him beat new panels. I don't think you will find any new panels anywhere!
   Good luck!

Emmanuel

Cobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 20:45:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Hi Alan,

Since the Frua's rack is MGB, you should look into racks used for MGB or MGC power steering conversion kits. As far as the pump is concerned, I would look at 1968 to 1973 big block mustang items. Pump, bracket and alternator bracket (Alternator will have to be moved and the header tank will have to be replaced by a Ford item like the 427 MKIII). I am not sure if they will fit without engine bay modifications. However, I don't know why you want to install power steering, the steering is quite light anyway. By replacing iron heads and manifold with aluminum items, you save about 300 Lbs up front making the steering effort even lighter.

Regarding body parts, find yourself a good metalsmith and have him beat new panels. I don't think you will find any new panels anywhere!
   Good luck!

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 20:56:00 »
quote:
   Hi Alan,...Regarding body parts, find yourself a good metalsmith and have him beat new panels. I don't think you will find any new panels anywhere!
   Good luck!
   Emmanuel

quote:
Originally posted by administrator (in the "Mk I 428 body restoration/ New Mk II 428" thread.)
The ACOC has in stock quite a few original Frua body sections which are available if parts of a body shell really need replacing. They are listed on the Acedes Spares stock list on that page in the Members' Section of the website.

So join the club to find out if your required parts are in stock!
   Nik.[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 22:38:18 »
Emmanuel

quote:
Originally posted by administrator (in the "Mk I 428 body restoration/ New Mk II 428" thread.)
The ACOC has in stock quite a few original Frua body sections which are available if parts of a body shell really need replacing. They are listed on the Acedes Spares stock list on that page in the Members' Section of the website.[/quote]

First time I hear about this! I will check, Good to know, Emmanuel

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 14:37:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cobrajet

Looking to convert a 1969 AC 428 Frua Coupe to PAS, anybody got any idea what rack would replace the existing.
   Also looking for dimensions to straighten the distorted front panel wing and left hand a post, any help would be appreciated.
   How do I get acccess to the spares stock list for the Frua.Looking for a boot lid sills front wings, front panel
   Alan  Hobbs

Hi Alan [:)]

Hope you don't mind me asking but just wondered what the CF number is ?

cliffordl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 15:27:15 »
The latest ACtion club mag. lists available spares for the 428. Essentially rear end (wings, boot etc) are just about still available very little is forward of this. Plus dash boards, some trim and a few other oddities - all listed under Acedes Spares.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:10:45 »
CF Number:
   C = Cobra (very similar chassis)
   F = Frua
   X = Left Hand Drive

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by administrator
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

CF Number:
   F = Frua
   X = Left Hand Drive

I`m guessing Cass wanted the actual chassis number, CF(X) _ _, but thanks for the definition anyway!

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 10:53:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by administrator
quote:
Originally posted by Classicus

CF Number:
   F = Frua
   X = Left Hand Drive

I`m guessing Cass wanted the actual chassis number, CF(X) _ _, but thanks for the definition anyway!

Ah yes quite correct. My apols. Mr. Admin ! [:I]  Rescued in the nick of time.
   Cass

Cobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 15:23:16 »
quote:

Emmanuel

quote:
The ACOC has in stock quite a few original Frua body sections which are available if parts of a body shell really need replacing. They are listed on the Acedes Spares stock list on that page in the Members' Section of the website.

[/quote]

Cobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 15:53:27 »
quote:

Emmanuel

quote:

Nik.[:)]Quite happy to join the club,
   Alan

[/quote]

Cobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 16:53:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by Cobrajet

quote:

Hi Alan,

Good luck!

Emmanuel

Emmanuel thanks for the reply, have a good metalsmith, was just hoping to get some original panels to work with.
   interesting car came in from the USA , a bit punch drunk, hit in the front wing boot and front end
   Alan[:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 20:34:25 »
I belong to the AC club, I have not found the area with the parts as of yet!

Emmanuel

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 11:42:11 »
quote:

I belong to the AC club, I have not found the area with the parts as of yet!

Emmanuel

Manybox, I hope this works, I`m sort of paraphrasing what I`ve read elsewhere from the administrator:
   You need to go to the ACOC Homepage, log in to the box on the right using the username & password in the "ACtion" magazine, select "model directory" (or "model" from the bottom of the screen,) then use the drop-down menu to find Acedes spares.