Author Topic: Frua Hood Springs  (Read 6482 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:58:36 »
Unfortunately my Frua came without hood springs. Would anybody have any spares? I am getting ready to make a pair. Would anybody be interested in purchasing additional ones? Jeffrey lent me one from his car to duplicate:

Please advise!

Emmanuel [:)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:03:31 »
As I found out, there are 2 companies in Los Angeles, who will duplicate the spiral flat spring. one quoted $250 set up fee and after that, just a few $ for each spring. I will make them out of Stainless. The bracket I don't know yet, but it looks like a pretty straight forward piece. The two sides are a mirror image of each other with the spring on the inside.  Interestingly, the spring is quite weak and can be removed with one hand. I will probably make them 5 to 10% stronger to account for aging! The one pictured above is the right side.

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 04:23:20 »
HI, Hood springs taking shape!

I am making an extra set!

Emmanuel [:D]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:37:35 »
I have photos of one of the brackets we just made up. It is not chromed yet but looks exactly like the original except for the attaching bolts holes which we made larger. This will allows us to use larger stainless steel bolts! tomorrow morning, I will drop the spring off at the manufacturer.

Here it is:

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 15:35:35 »
Getting the springs made has been a challenge so far! These springs are called "Clock Springs" or spiral flat springs the company I went to see yesterday morning does not make these anymore, too little demand. Another custom spring maker wanter 2 to 3 thousands. I thought it was funny.

I am talking to a couple companies out of state. We will see

Emmanuel

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:02:51 »
Emmanuel
   Might be worth looking at the spring out of an MGB GT tailgate support - there was a picture of it on another thread. Reworked and maybe plated might be possible.
   Michael

nikbj68

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 08:10:45 »
They must have been a shelf item, presumably on Italian vehicles, circa 1965 onwards... do you have autojumbles out where you are?

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 17:26:35 »
No what is autojumbles? The brackets look like they are hand made. Now the spring is a different story, I found a Ford spring which is reasonably similar except for the thickness. I just bought 4 on EBay. The end has to be reshaped and they will go on a rotary sander to made thinner.  The only difference with the originals will be sharp edges vs rounded for originals. Otherwise cost will be about a thousand for 6.

Emmanuel

lyonheart84

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 18:50:47 »
They do have autojumbles in USA but maybe not in the LA area. Emmanuel it's a giant antique car show where hundreds or even thousands of people set up stalls selling new and used antique auto parts from the smallest screws to complete panels and engines and even complete cars for restoration. I'd also read that MGB GT tailgate springs were the same or very similar but i don't have any around to compare them

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 00:57:23 »
I will try and buy a used set on Ebay, just to see.

E

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 04:46:12 »
Ok, I bought a set of MGB GT tail hatch brackets on E-Bay, and after removing the springs, here is the good news, they are similar except for the fact that they are shorter by a quarter turn, they should work. This is good news.  I will post a photo tomorrow!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:44 »
I would guess that they aren`t quite as strong on the MGB, so (as long as they don`t bind) that extra 3/4 turn of tension might make up the difference!
   Great investigative work!

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 18:21:13 »
Thanks, No it's the other way around, being shorter they are stronger. I suspect the MG hatch being all steel with a large window is much heavier. The danger of having too strong springs is that over time the hood will bend. The good news is that they can be installed in quarter turn as Jeffrey pointed out yesterday.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 00:35:59 »
Aaah. I see.
   You don`t want to start off with them too tight:

Hood springs!

[;)]

Emmanueld

• View Profile
Frua Hood Springs