Author Topic: Newbie from Canada saying "Hi"  (Read 6179 times)

SunDude

• View Profile
Newbie from Canada saying "Hi"
« on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:03 »
I just joined this forum and wanted to make an introductory post to say "Hi."

I am a frequent poster on several other Cobra forums and recognize a few of the usernames from this site too.

I am a 100% certified car nut and am crazy for all things automotive.  But the AC/Shelby Cobra has been at the top of my list since I first saw one as a young boy in the movie, "The Gumball Rally."

I bought my first "Cobra" last summer -- specifically a 2002 Superformance MkIII Sports -- and have been living the dream ever since.  It shares garage space with my 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata and my 1977 Triumph 750 Tiger motorcycle.

Spring will be here soon in snowy Canada and the Cobra fever is starting to heat up.  Can't wait to fire 'er up again!

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 12:58:42 »
Be nice if we had our own AC 428 forum alone.

cliffordl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 08:18:44 »
Welcome Sun dude - it's true that this section for Thames Ditton cobra and the 428 Frua is mostly dominated by the Frua fans. Most of the Cobra guys seem to post elsewhere.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 16:29:38 »
Indeed, welcome Brian. The self-repairing Cobra in the Gumball Rally certainly helped feed my addiction, too!
   Hope the roads are clear enough for your first blast of the year soon, safe journeys!

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 18:56:13 »
Thanks guys, for a minute there I was starting to feel like "the Colonies" weren't welcome on this forum...

Nik, funny you should mention "the self-repairing Cobra" from The Gumball Rally.  The back story to that is the Cobra's front end was damaged by the tow truck in the final scene of the movie.  As we all know, they often shoot movie scenes out of sequence and then piece them together afterwards with an eye out for continuity.  Obviously they overlooked this one, as the Cobra briefly appears with a damaged front end during the L.A. highway scene, several minutes before they reach the finish line.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 20:44:40 »
Hi SunDude!!!! Nice to read you over here as well - just checked out your Lego-Cobra ride in your CC gallery! I'm happy to see any kind of replica :-)

I agree with your first comment but welcome anyway, you can be sure that nik and cliffordl and I are happy for you to be here, even if you have been cast out into the far-off Colonies. Life can be cruel

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 23:56:57 »
Hi Trevor, and thanks for the warm welcome too.  As much as I enjoy posting and reading things on CC, it's nice to be part of a group that knows how to spell colour...and neighbour...and so on.

As it happens, there's a pretty good chance I'll be going to the Farnborough Airshow this July for work.  It'll be my first trip to Ol' Blighty (Stansted and Heathrow connections notwithstanding) and should be good fun.  Am looking forward to it.

(By the way, after years of searching I finally managed to collect all three of your Cobra books.  Great reads!)

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:54:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by SunDude: Hi Trevor, and thanks for the warm welcome too...(By the way, after years of searching I finally managed to collect all three of your Cobra books.  Great reads!)

Oh you`ve done it now... friend for life, guaranteed! [:D]

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:06:19 »
I gotta friend?????.....wow!!!!!!

Clearly SunDude is a gentleman of literary taste and discernment, so should be made an hono(u)rary member of the ACOC forthwith. Not sure if I'll be at Farnborough this year (we also publish books in association with the RAF, the latest being the official Red Arrows book about the Worlds Best - no dicussion necessary - display team. The book will be on sale at the Reds mobile shop no doubt).

Good luck getting through Heathrow and I hope you and your luggage are soon reunited :-)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 20:15:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

quote:
Originally posted by SunDude: Hi Trevor, and thanks for the warm welcome too...(By the way, after years of searching I finally managed to collect all three of your Cobra books.  Great reads!)

Oh you`ve done it now... friend for life, guaranteed! [:D]

I´m still working on getting Trevor´s friend[:)]; I only managed to add two of Trevor´s books to my collection[:(]. Some weeks ago I succeeded to shoot "The Real Thing" on Ebay for 1 EURO[:D]! Lucky me!

Michael

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 19:25:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by TLegate

Not sure if I'll be at Farnborough this year (we also publish books in association with the RAF, the latest being the official Red Arrows book about the Worlds Best - no dicussion necessary - display team. The book will be on sale at the Reds mobile shop no doubt).

Good luck getting through Heathrow and I hope you and your luggage are soon reunited :-)

Hi Trevor,

I'm leaving for London this Thursday and will be at Farnborough next Monday to Thursday, working out of the Canada stand (Hall 4, C17-C20).  Any chance you'll be at the air show?

I'm staying at The Mandeville Hotel and have several meetings over the weekend and next week at the High Commission.  All in all it's gonna be a hectic week.

Brian

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 15:02:21 »
Hi Brian,
   Welcome to the forum.
   FYI - The ACOC members in Surrey and Sussex will have their monthly meeting this Sunday 18th July at The Queen's Head in East Clandon which is between Guildford and Esher, off the A3 road. Many of us have just returned from the Le Mans Classic trip  and will be meeting for an informal lunch and a pint. You are welcome to join us if you time, it's not that far by car from Farnborough.
   www.queensheadeastclandon.co.uk

Hope the show goes well for you.
   All the best - John.

SunDude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 13:20:14 »
Thanks for the invitation to join you this Sunday, John.  I checked out the website and it looks like a nice place.  I would really enjoy getting together with some fellow enthusiasts to swap stories and bench race a bit.  But as it happens I'll be in London working all day Sunday, from 8am to 6pm, and then off to a formal reception at The Royal Automobile Club on Pall Mall (which I hear is pretty swanky).  sigh

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 14:17:33 »
Yes the RAC is a great club and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I think the Pall Mall club house is one of the best there is and it also has strong motoring connections.
   http://www.royalautomobileclub.co.uk/guestarea/facilities.asp?s=FA&ss=DR&r=932051581&t=1

Cheers - John.

SB7019

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 17:14:10 »
You will like the RAC Club - I am just on my way back from a good lunch there.   Remember to wear a jacket and tie and switch off you cell phone though, they have very traditional rules!