Author Topic: Interesting snippet – vintage AC  (Read 2770 times)

Old Crock

• View Profile
Interesting snippet – vintage AC
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:25:42 »
Thought the following snippet about vintage AC's would interest the forum.

Recently I was passed an old copy photo of a vintage AC parked on the rocks at Land’s End. On the back there is an interesting story, written by one Hubert Egerton. Here’s the text:

On Dec 23, 1900 I arrived at Land’s End from John o’Groat’s on my Locomobile Steam Car – thus completing the largest journey possible in the British Isles (the distance is approximately 900 miles).

On arrival at Penzance on the morning of Dec 23, 1900 I picked up a professional photographer and took him and his camera, and about a dozen plates, to Land’s End – amongst the set of photos taken was the one which is reproduced as a kind of ‘dream of old days’ in the sky on this photograph. A quarter of a century has passed since I was photographed in exactly  the same position…at the time of writing no less than 33 years have elapsed-!

In this photograph I am seen at the wheel of an AC 16hp – 2 seater. I was, at the time, in the employ of the AC Motor Co. of Thames Ditton of which company my almost life-long friend, the late S. F. Edge, was Principal.

On a similar AC in the year 1926 I drove from Glion (high up in Montreux) on the lake of Geneva, Switzerland to Calais – 540 miles in 21 consecutive hours – the longest day’s run so far in my 46 years as a motorist – only once before did I cover 500 miles at one sitting and that was in 1898 on a 1¾ hp De Dion Bouton Quadricycle!!!

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 16:50:12 »
Great story. Request copy of photo & reverse side for the ACOC Archive please!

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 17:43:42 »
As requested, I have made a copy of the photo, together with the notes, which is now available for the ACOC archive. Could the archivist please send me an Email with the address that this should be sent.

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:25:44 »
Many thanks for the copies 'Old Crock'. Will publish in ACtion as an Archive article in the near future.