Author Topic: Headers and exhaust system MKIV  (Read 2963 times)

AK1005

• View Profile
Headers and exhaust system MKIV
« on: April 30, 2007, 19:42:54 »
I need a new exhaust system in the near future. I would also like to change my standard W351 headers to another system (shorty headers type). As the W351 is a tight fit in the engine compartment, I don't know what type would fit. Does anybody have any experience? Is there an exhaust system availbale for the MKIV or would I have to build one?

Thanks Christoph

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 19:59:26 »
Several shorty headers will. The exgaust system will need to be a custom build. The sweetest sounding MK IV I ever heard was a 96 EFI with no cats and a custom stainless system using Borla mufflers. Deep, sweet burble at idle, nice throat on accell and no boom/resonance at cruise.

Rick

AK1131

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 20:12:45 »
I have a 1986 MKIV with JBA shorty headers. Nice fit. great looks. Mine are chrome powder coated but JBA has told me stainless steel is now available. My exhaust is stock 2 on left side with no catalytic convertors.

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 21:30:00 »
I'm running headers, no cats, stainless and barely a muffler, I love the sound, I should try to put in on MP3 this weekend !!

twogreens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 16:09:34 »
Christoph,
   The guy that made the original systems is still in business and, I am told, still has the patterns.  You might try talking to Big Al at Thunder Cars.  He is currently having one made up for me.

Regards
   Rick

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 22:06:43 »
Hi Christoph,
   FYI, Thunder Road are near Woking in Surrey and "Big Al's" number is 01483 763399. They fitted shorty headers to my MkIV and removed the cats and the back boxes in the rear wheel arches. I have also had the headers ceramic coated to reduce / contain the heat. Big Al is always happy to talk and offer help and I can happily recommend them. The resulting exhaust note is not too loud while cruising but still meaningful when accelerating.
   John