Author Topic: AC 428's elder Italian cousin: Maserati Minstral  (Read 17719 times)

cmaddox3

• View Profile
AC 428's elder Italian cousin: Maserati Minstral
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 19:49:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

Paul Hi,

I had a Daytona, I kept it for a couple of years, it was a gorgeous car, I sold it in 2004, I kind of regret it since I just I saw it advertised for sale at Autosportdesign in New York for double what I sold it for! The problem with the Daytona is that it drives like a truck in traffic and parts are rare and very expensive. With the 428 you can play with the drive train as much as you want and not break the bank and you know what, the way my car is set up, it is way faster that the Daytona ever was! (Probably not top speed but where could you try it these days anyway!).

Emmanuel

You hit the nail squarely on the head there Emmanuel.  I have little doubt that the Ferarri Daytona would walk away from the Frua (at least a 428/C6 Auto equipped one) on the top end.  On a road course, it might even be able to post better lap times.  But I'd think the pure-blood Italian product would be more fragile in terms of operation and far less pleasant of a driver.

After all...

--  Chuck

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 19:59:09 »
The 428 steering is amazingly light for a manual system, once you tune the suspension correctly, (the stock set up is too low and too soft), the car handles great! I think I am going to install pin drive Halibrands instead of the wire wheels. They look good and will sharpen the handling even more!

Emmanuel

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 20:17:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Emmanueld

The 428 steering is amazingly light for a manual system, once you tune the suspension correctly, (the stock set up is too low and too soft), the car handles great! I think I am going to install pin drive Halibrands instead of the wire wheels. They look good and will sharpen the handling even more!

Emmanuel

It's been my experience that the 428's manual steering is fine for just about any usage.  Power Assist is certainly not necessary and would only produce marginal improvement in reduction of effort for parking.  But I was a young man the last time I drove the 428 any.  Who knows, maybe nowadays I would appreciate a little assist (but I doubt it).  A far more noticable issue (at least it was in my mind) is the poor overall turning radius.

Emmanuel, are there any suspension tuning tips you could share?  You don't have to go into lengthy detail, but I'd be interested to hear a little of your experiences.

Cheers!

--  Chuck

runt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 20:51:17 »
Emmanuel, everything you've said re the Daytona (which as a legend in its own lifetime has always fascinated me) sounds the way I'd imagined it to be; if that makes sense. Mel Nichols in 'Car' borrowed a beautiful red Daytona from Pink Floyd's Nick Mason in March '80; I've just pulled this from my library and re-read it, a truly spectacular Ferrari in its ability and quite beautiful.
   The 428, auto or manual, a different kind of delivery of course but 0-100, both trying, there'd be nothing between these two ,would there?

Chuck, I deliberately avoided opting for the FE motor when planning my 'kit'since a stroked Windsor is that much lighter; and I didn't relish heavy steering..however, the reasonably light steering reported by 428 owners on these forums is I guess due to the FE sitting well back..?

Paul.[:)]

cmaddox3

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 13:31:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by runt

Emmanuel, everything you've said re the Daytona (which as a legend in its own lifetime has always fascinated me) sounds the way I'd imagined it to be; if that makes sense. Mel Nichols in 'Car' borrowed a beautiful red Daytona from Pink Floyd's Nick Mason in March '80; I've just pulled this from my library and re-read it, a truly spectacular Ferrari in its ability and quite beautiful.
   The 428, auto or manual, a different kind of delivery of course but 0-100, both trying, there'd be nothing between these two ,would there?

I don't know, but I wouldn't think there would be much difference in a straight-line up to 100 (either kph or mph).  On the top end I'd expect the Daytona would prevail due to the relatively low redline and fewer gears.  A 427 and a Doug Nash or Tremec 5-Speed would likely be a great equalizer.  Although that combination wouldn't be quite so forgiving to drive in city traffic.

quote:
Originally posted by runt

Chuck, I deliberately avoided opting for the FE motor when planning my 'kit'since a stroked Windsor is that much lighter; and I didn't relish heavy steering..however, the reasonably light steering reported by 428 owners on these forums is I guess due to the FE sitting well back..?

Paul.[:)]

While I'm not a physicist, nor do I play one on TV, I would think that moving the engine's [not so] dead weight from directly over the front suspension would help the apparent lightness of the steering box..

I wonder if anyone's ever given serious thought to doing a "stretch" Cobra 100 based on a 428's 6" addition to the wheelbase.  I'd think with the added room the driver's position could be less upright and more comfortable for taller drivers, windscreen more raked, greater cornering power, less twitchy behaviour...  The main down sides would be some additional weight, and it'd be less "compact" overall...

I know, I know...  It's been done by a small firm in the UK called AC which put an Italian body on it while they were at it, etc.  I was referring to a kit car stretch 427 Cobra where the car was otherwise a Cobra layout but with a stretched frame and body work.  It'd  be an interesting project.  Wonder if anyone's ever thought of doing something like that.

--  Chuck

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 14:48:21 »
cmaddox3,
   There have been several replicas done with stretches (4 to 6 inches, perhaps more) to the frame to do exactly what you are foretelling. I don't recall who did how much and how commercially acceptable they were/are in the replicar world. Club Cobra would certainly have it all if you are interested.
   Jim

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2007, 16:19:32 »
Suspension tuning tips?

Let's start: I replaced front and rear shocks and springs with Edelbrock Cobra MKIII models, these are available from Kirkham motor sport. Original springs were 325lbs all around, way way too soft, the new springs are 600lbs rear and 400lbs front which is stock 427 cobra SC settings. The car drives much better and does not feel all that much stiffer. The other advantage of the cobra shocks is that they are adjustable for height. I raised the rear 1 1/2" and the front 1". The rear upper control arms which are not adjustable on the Frua had to be replaced by 427 Cobra ones from Kirkham as well. I fitted a 3/4" front anti sway bar (Kirkham) at the front and the wheels and tires were replaced as well. Wheels are 7.5" wide aluminum rims from Dayton (tubeless design) and the tires are Z rated Pirelly 225/70 X 15 OEM for the Jaguar XJS. The car handles as well a a modern car. It feels light like a cobra and requires very little imput from the driver to drive fast. I am happy!

Emmanuel

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 17:35:43 »
I thought this was a good thread! We will miss Chuck Maddox! How is the vintage car market in England? Is anything selling?

Emmanuel