Author Topic: Aceca Tools  (Read 18368 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« on: January 18, 2009, 22:51:27 »
Does anyone happen to have a picture of an original, correct Aceca (AC-Engined) tool board with the correct tools? I can't figure out what two of the slots are supposed to hold, and the factory parts list doesn't clue me in either.

Peter B.
Peter B.

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 07:11:48 »
Peter,

Here's a photo of an original tray including its tools + a nearly complete duplicate set sourced from ebay.  If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

Greg

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 18:01:02 »
Great, thanks Greg. What are the two tools at the bottom of the picture, the oblong thing with the hole, and the tool below it? Also, how long are each of the following:
   - screw driver
   - tommy bar
   - spark plug wrench

Don't know where I'd turn without my friends here on the forum!

Peter
Peter B.

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:16 »
Peter,

I believe the two tools you're referring to are a brake adjuster and brake bleeder.  The photos below will show you what they look like.  I need to find them for my tool kit as well.  The complete kit belongs to a fellow Aceca owner and club member.  It was invaluable in sourcing my own set, as well as in making a reproduction board (still needs its flocking applied).  Ron Leonard will carry reproductions of both brake tools at some point but is currently out of them.  As to dimensions:  The screw driver is 8" long, the tommy bar is 6" long and made from 5/16" rod and the spark plug wrench is 4" long.

Ebay is a great source for the tools, although I'm still looking for the brake adjuster and bleeder in the above photos. Good luck!

Greg

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:45:58 »
Perfect, thanks Greg. At least now I know what to look for! As always, your invaluable help appreciated.

Peter
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:01:12 »
Greg - can you send a couple of pictures of the bleeder and brake adjuster looking down on the 'business' ends of the tools so I can see the shapes? I'm thinking of just making up a set for now while I (like you) look for originals. They don't look too hard to weld up if I can figure out how to make the 'tube' portions of each. Thanks for the help.

Peter
Peter B.

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 04:54:04 »
Here you go, Peter.  Happy to help.

I'm pretty sure that the larger tool had a 3/16"W socket and the smaller a 1/4"W socket.  Cannot really verify as I no longer have the tools...only the photographs.

Greg

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:53 »
Hi Peter,

The complete tool set Greg is referring to is out of my car. I will measure the size of the brake adjuster and the brake bleeder with a caliper and post the measurements when I have time. I am not quite sure the “brake bleeder” tool is actually used for that purpose since it does not fit the bleed nipples on my brakes; although, I thought it might be for that use since the bleed nipples on the rear breaks are so hard to reach (I think the original bleed nipples have been replaced on my car). Does anyone else know about the intended use of this tool (the hex socket tool)?

John

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 00:19:38 »
Thanks Greg and John, that will be great! Between the pictures and the drawings, I think I can make up some close approximations. The original parts list doesn't even list either of these tools for the AC-engined Ace/Aceca. For the Bristol bretheren, it does list a 'Brake Adjusting Spanner', a 'Cylinder Head Ring Spanner', and a 'Cylinder Head Box Spanner', maybe these items area actually examples of 2 of these 3????
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 00:21:57 »
John - does the tool with the hexagon socket maybe fit the acorn nuts that hold the valve cover in place on the AC engine?
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 20:12:49 »
John/Greg - on the 'bleeder' tool (flatbar handle, square socket opening), does the 'socket' start out as a round tube welded to the flat bar, and then flare to the square end? Or is it square tubing all the way?

Thanks guys.
Peter B.

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 22:31:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by pjbowman

John/Greg - on the 'bleeder' tool (flatbar handle, square socket opening), does the 'socket' start out as a round tube welded to the flat bar, and then flare to the square end? Or is it square tubing all the way?

Thanks guys.

Peter

The flat handle square socket opening tool is definitely the Brake adjuster spanner (used to adjust the rear breaks…have used it many times to adjust my rear brakes). The socket starts out as a round tube and goes to square. It appears to have been made by heating and forging it square at the top.

I will e-mail you a PDF of a sketch with dimensions (of both tools) and I will scan it into a jpg file and see if Greg can upload it to the Forum for everyone else as I have not taken the time to figure how to upload to the Forum yet.

John

Aceca289

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 22:32:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by pjbowman

John - does the tool with the hexagon socket maybe fit the acorn nuts that hold the valve cover in place on the AC engine?

Peter

The hex socket spanner is what I thought was used to bleed the rear brakes, but I don’t think it is for that use since it doesn’t fit the bleed valves. There has to be another AC club member who knows what this tool is used for. I will drop this tool off to Greg to see if he can determine if it fits any obvious parts on an AC engine. My car was an AC enigned Aceca (AEX521) before being converted to a 289.

John

pjbowman

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 00:25:01 »
Wonderful John, thanks. And thanks for the detailed drawings! They are just what I needed.

Peter
Peter B.

GaryC

• View Profile
Aceca Tools
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 01:12:50 »
I used that brake bleeder on BEX402 and it was definitely designed to go thru the rear emergency brake housing that sits over the bleeder. Saved hours of pain. Gary