Author Topic: Front Seats... help required  (Read 3142 times)

D_M_J

• View Profile
Front Seats... help required
« on: August 17, 2015, 14:08:44 »
Hi,
   New to the forum and looking for a little advice... We are currently doing some work on our 1934 16/66 4/seater, a few things to sort and a bit of a refresh before it goes back on the road.
   After years of putting up with a pair of incorrect front seats, it's time it was fitted with seats as close to the originals as we can get. When my Dad got the car it had no seats, so we have nothing to go off.
   Looking for any advice/help in getting frames/seats built to the correct spec.
   Has anyone done this/knows who can?

Cheers,
   .David.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 14:32:35 »
My 16/80 seats were very corroded to the point that new bases were needed & a new steel back made, my car does not have four seats so no rear seats required, there is an article in the AC Action this month so maybe you should talk to the owner it is a four seat car. A good body shop should be able to fabricate new seats & then have it upholstered, my seat backs were hinged so a little more work making them.

Robin

BE774

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 19:20:59 »
Hi David, I don't know which style of seat you would have had originally. Is your car a saloon, tourer or drophead? Two doors or four? There were at least two styles of seat, a bucket seat on the sportier cars and a more comfort-biased one on others.

I have the latter, which have fixed backs and are hinged at the front to allow access to the rear seats.

I don't know where you are in the country but you are welcome to see mine (in the Midlands) or I could let you have a photo if you send me your email address, to 123gbw at gmail dot com. My seats will be reupholstered in the coming year so there could be the opportunity to see them naked. Graham.
Barbara

D_M_J

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 22:43:12 »
Thank you both for your replies, and thank you Graham for the kind offer.

Sorry, I failed to mention (quite importantly [;)]) that the seats we need are the bucket seats with folding backs, the car is a 4 seater sports. We just don't have a size or pattern to work from as yet.

.David.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 00:29:00 »
David
   I have my seats ready to install to my car when it is ready, as I made my seat bases & backs I do have a card patter for the back I believe still, an upholsterer in Dorset finished them in nice leather, one of my engine customers has also just completed his 4-seat 16/80  so he may be able to give you some information, though he is in Texas!

Robin

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:37:26 »
There is a company called Aldridge in Wolverhampton who make hinged back bucket seat in various colours of leather which are quite similar to what you require, they basically are to suit a Jaguar 120 roadster , if you send an Email to me I will send a picture & give you more information. I also believe the company may help with the rear seats but you will need to discuss that with them.

Robin

D_M_J

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 21:43:32 »
Hi Robin, thanks, I've just sent you an e-mail via the forum