Author Topic: Rear wishbone outer pivot  (Read 3858 times)

rsk289

• View Profile
Rear wishbone outer pivot
« on: October 25, 2012, 00:12:21 »
I've seen some cars with a grease nipple fitted to the outer pivot on the rear lower wishbone.  My car (replica) has a plain pin with DU self-lubricating bearings in the wishbone - is this a known problem area, with the grease nipple (and presumably drillings in the pin) a known fix?  Just wondering if I should get the pin hard chrome-plated and drilled whilst it's all apart.
   Any thoughts?
   Roger

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 18:20:26 »
I replaced all my bushes with ones made from Vesconite,never have to lube again.
   Vesconite is an engineering plastic developed for the South African mining industry for slow rotating bushes in very dusty and gritty enviroments.
   When conventional lubricated bushes were used the lube collected the dust to form grinding paste. Vesconite solved the problem as no oil or grease is used.

Lew

rsk289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 20:08:20 »
Thanks Lew, - did you use it for everything, kingpins, spring eyes etc?  Where can you get it, and does it come in stock sizes or does it need machining?
   Roger

edit - looking at their website, they suggest different machining tolerances are needed.  Did you allow for this, or did you copy the stock parts?
   Sorry for all the questions - while it's in bits I'd like to get it right!

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:03:20 »
Hi Roger,
   It comes in bar form,either solid or hollow
   I used it all over except king pins,but that is not to say it would not work in that application.I machined eccentrically on the spring eyes in order to get cambers correct.
   I machined the bushes as a nice press fit into the wishbone etc then reamed to size so that the pins rotated as one would expect them to. There is no heat issue where we would use them so a nice rotation seems to work.I would suggest you e them and ask who their agent is in the uk.It machines and reams very nicely.
   I used it as to grease all those bushes is a pain in the but and the grease works like a magnet for dirt.
   I smeared the pins with copper slip before fitting to hopefully prevent any corrosion of them if water got in

cheers

Lew

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 15:12:08 »
Lew,

is this the company? Vesconit Manufacturer Homepage

Peter

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 16:19:56 »
It certainly seems to be and they have an agent in Germany and the UK

Lew

rsk289

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 17:53:31 »
Thanks - I'll get on to them and see how it goes.  It looks like Vesconite Hilube may be a better bet?
   Are your wishbone pins hard chrome plated?

Thanks again,
   Roger

lew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:05 »
No. I used the ones that came with the car .They miked ok

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23:22 »
Original outer wishbone pins are through drilled and fitted with grease nipples with scrolled bronze bushed.
   Vesconit is an option and there are numerous other products that can be used.

We do a fully adjustable conversion for the ACE and The ACECA that can be adjusted with out dismantling the wishbone, however we need the car on site to do this.

www.bristolengineering.co.uk