Author Topic: Restoration of AE29  (Read 4189 times)

AE29

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« on: November 28, 2015, 16:25:55 »
I have had my 1954 AC Ace AE29 for quite a while, and now am retired and have time to begin restoring it.  I have been a member of the ACOC for several years but am new to the forum. Nice to be here, excited to interact with you all.

A few questions you might be able to help me with - first about the trunk (boot) and hood (bonnet) emblems.
   [/URL]

Hopefully I have posted a couple photos of the emblems on my car.  To me, these look like very early emblems which would make sense since this is a very early Ace.  What do you think?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 17:35:17 »
   James.

Welcome to the ACOC Forum,  AE29 is a very early AC Ace nigh preproduction.
   The badges fitted to both bonnet and boot could well be genuine and differ from those fitted once production got underway.
   Tim Isles and David Sanderson will know and should furnish you with correct answer.
   I will give Tim a call this evening, mind you he regularly frequents the Forum so could well respond within the next 24hours.

From the pictures I have on record of AE29 show a white body  high lit with red wheel arches and red sills and original interior, plus one picture of AE41 wearing a new coat of Old English White with red wheels and red interior

This later picture showing side view would appear to confirm it has the correct very early over riders. Does it still have the early budget boot lock, early fuel filler and round rear lights..[?]
   So often the fittings are lost, damaged or simply upgraded over time.
   Nice to see original specification on a early car..[:)]
   Would be nice if you could post a few pictures showing front and rear three quarter view plus interior through open door.

Early USA  register records AE29 was once owned by a J Baldwin in USA and was possibly for sale in November 1991 with a dead AC Engine.  Was this when you become the second custodian..[?]

Last but not least the earlier pictures show holes in rear scuttle, did this Ace have a rollover bar? does AE29 have some racing history [?].

Cheers for Now.

Keith

AE29

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 21:46:54 »
Keith,

Thanks for your reply.  I look forward to hearing from Tim and David.  Yes, the earlier photos of the white with red AC Ace are of AE29.  I will post some on this forum, too.

IMG]http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y342/ACAce1/Bonnet%20Latch_zpsoojqeyf2.jpg[/img]

The photos above are of the bonnet and boot latches, of which I'm wondering if they weren't put on as a faster latch as the car was being raced.

I bought it from John Baldwin in October 1995.  The first owner was Colonel R.T. Black, USA, July 14, 1954.

It does have holes in the scuttle for a roll bar and like you, I am wondering if it does have a race history given the fact that it has diagonal stiffeners on the frame.

Here are some photos, I've taken off the rear brake drums to work on them.

Lastly but most interesting to me is that the front cross leaf springs are chromed.

Really appreciate your help, Keith.

Jim

AE29

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 21:56:31 »
Well that didn't work, will try the photos again.

Worked this time, it seems.

alexG

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 22:08:19 »
Jim, not seen badges like those before, maybe from something prewar? Early photos of my Ace, AE01, show the usual flatter plated style; yours look like they are 4-5mm proud, and in brass or bronze, AlexG

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 23:10:30 »
   Jim

I believe all AC Ace had the same  1930'sAC round emblem,  the one's on AE29 appear to he home made, haven't seen any similar before.
   Spoke to Tim Isles this morning and consulted Rinsey Mills "Original AC Ace & Cobra " book,  both refer to all Aces wearing the 1930s AC emblem.

Keith.

AE29

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 22:30:47 »
Thanks Alex and Keith.  I agree that the emblems look home made.  At least they spelled it correctly.

Any thoughts on the bonnet and boot latches, anyone?

Jim

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 22:41:52 »
   Jim.

Your bonnet and boot quick release are not standard AC Ace items,  A make shift device that worked at 1950s/60s race meeting/s.

A sound restoration project,  are you thinking of 100point restoration  or as was when raced in period.  [?] or simply get it road worthy to use or sell on..[?]

If we can assist with parts or advise please do not hesitate to ask, members on either side of the pond can help,  just ask.

Good Luck with the project and quest for History of AE29.

Keith.

AE29

• View Profile
Restoration of AE29
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 23:25:54 »
Thanks, Keith.  This does suggest that AE29 was raced, which is very cool.  I'm doing research now on the former owners, it spent some time in Illinois.  I do not want 100point restoration, or a better-than-new car, I've always thought that the beauty and charm of an old race car was its battle scars it won during the years.  I need to make a list of parts I need and I will certainly do that soon.  AE29 started out life as a right hand drive but at some time during the years it was converted to left hand drive with rack and pinion.  I believe it would be more faithful to the history of the car to put it back to right hand drive worm and sector.  I would like for the car to be eligible for historic races.  Being such an early car it deserves to be restored as much to original as possible.
   Thanks again, I value your input.  Jim