Author Topic: AC 428 original mirrors  (Read 3869 times)

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« on: November 07, 2010, 22:01:46 »
Hello guys, I need photos of the original rear view mirror as well as the side mirrors. I have pretty much established that the original rear view mirror is the same as the Reliant Scimitar. However, the post is not. Outside, I think the cars came with rectangular mirrors. I would like close up photo of them to identify. Any idea? I like the round mirror fitted to the Ferrari Dino and Daytona, Maybe I will install one of those ! . Thanks

Emmanuel [:)]

lyonheart84

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 21:15:03 »
I'm fairly sure most of the cars never had side mirrors fitted from the factory ( I had 3 fastbacks in the 1980's and I don't remember any of them having door mirrors! ). The Factory or AC dealers would no doubt have fitted them if requested by customers. I suspect the chrome ( or you can choose satin steel finish ) Tex mirrors fitted to chrome bumper model MGs throughout the 1960's and 1970's will fit nicely on the 428 doors and are available in left and right hand side. They are cheap and readily available and a nice rectangular shape but not too large. Alternatively Triumph Stag and Jaguar V12 E-Type mirrors are also easily available and look great also in left and right hand side.
   Regretably I cannot remember what the interior rear view mirror looked like but possibly it was different between the convertibles and fastbacks ( better check with Jeff on his interior mirror ) and knowing AC they changed the design over the years depending on what was available !

Classicus

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:08:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by lyonheart84

( I had 3 fastbacks in the 1980's.... )

Hi Lyonheart 84

Very interesting ! [8D]  Do you have any pics and/ or details of any of them still to update the AC 428 Register & Archive below ?

Many thanks

Paul [:)]
   http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/

lyonheart84

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 22:58:36 »
Hello Paul,
   Very briefly as my memory is not brilliant without carrying out further investigation, I was a member of the ACOC in the 1980's but drifted away from AC's with the onset of marriages and mortgages and the increase in value of exotic classic cars !
   The first fastback I owned was in the early 1980's and was CF42  PNT 553G. I bought it non-running and half restored and tinkered about in my spare time for a couple of years rebuilding the brakes and suspension and getting the engine running and the cooling system re-installed. The front end had all new panelling but the sills were the original slightly curved ones with the built-in jacking points which inevitably get replaced with the wrong profile sills during restorations and the jacking points removed or covered. The interior was immaculate original and the car was indeed a 4-speed manual. The rear wheel arches needed rebuilding and I had to sell the car as I run out of money. The original colour was Silver with Black leather but the gentleman that bought it had the car finished and painted an orangey red ( he brought it to show to me ) ! The car disappeared from sight in the 1980's and I've never heard or seen of it again.
   The second fastback I had was circa 1986 and was CF65  TNP 866L. I bought the car from the first ( or maybe 2nd ) owner and the car at this time was a wedgewood blue with wire-wheels. It was me that loaned the car to Thoroughbred and Classic Cars Magazine in 1986 and indeed it is me driving it in the pictures. I had some suspension work done and replaced the tyres but othewise she was in nice useable condition. I sold the car a year later to finance buying a Miura and I notice that she is now painted Metallic Burgundy. The 3rd fastback I cannot remember the chassis number so will try to find out but she was a later model like CF65 with the rocker switch dashboard and was a mid Metallic Blue. As I cannot remember the chassis number or registration I do not know if the car has been colour changed.
   Interestingly we also owned in the 1980's in our family business the Epping Motor Company convertible CF14 which we bought from Adrian McAlpine of the well known giant McAlpine PLC family. This is of course the car that we actually sold to Jim Feldman in the USA which he still owns. That is the one car I really wished we had kept as it was extremely useable. I will look sometime soon to see if I have any old photographs.
   Best regards,
   Brett

Classicus

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 19:41:32 »
Hi Brett

Many thanks for the very interesting and detailed history, hope you do find some pics eventually ! All updated barring one on the Register.

Thanks again

Paul [:)]

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 00:53:38 »
Emmanuel
   I think all the external mirrors are added accessories. My car had none and I didn't want to drill the body or spoil the lines of the car so fitted a Holden mirror which attaches to the glass channel next to the 1/4 light. I was sceptical but it has been fine - nicely made and it hasn't fallen off yet and doesn't interfere with the window or 1/4 light operation. Have a look at www.holden.co.uk - part #090.178 oval flat glass 125 x 85mm.
   My interior mirror is a black plastic Wingard dipping type. Wingard was a common mirror of the period both OE and accessory market and on many British cars. No idea whether original or not on my car.
   Michael

Emmanueld

• View Profile
AC 428 original mirrors
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:54:51 »
I think I will install Ferrari Daytona side mirrors, they are round, very flat and very minimalist. They came stock on the Dino, C4 and Daytona. I think they will look great.

Emmanuel