Author Topic: Mark IV seat removal  (Read 4228 times)

jbottini

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« on: December 23, 2006, 22:02:20 »
I've got four hours, much bad language and skinned knuckles trying to remove drivers seat as well as paaenger. drivers: I can remove front track mount bolts (lower) and front track uppers bolts. cannot get the rears or bring this to scucess...HELP!!!!!!!

ak1234

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 22:45:33 »
LOL ........... I removed my driver seat only once to fix the leather ... it needed to be pulled and renailed ... i tell you it wasnt easy ... if i remember correctly you have to push it all the way back for the fronts and allthe way foward for the rears ... not an easy task .. oh and be sure to have a back brace ...becuase it has to be done with a wrench and bending over... studs on the seats and nuts underneath would have been easier ... i still love this car no matter how hard it is to get the seats out ..lol
   Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 23:03:36 »
What type of wrench to get at the rears? i can't seem tpo find enough space for a thin wall socket. by the way same issue...re-stretch leather...what was the charge? I assume you took out the entire assembly and all the track asembly?  I still love it ..it was me, the cat and three beers...she who must be obeyed only came down once to see what the hollering was about.

Mark IV

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 00:54:51 »
"I can do that job in...4 beers"

I HAVE done it but years and killing brain cells has dulled the memory. I do remember bloody hands and much gnashing and wailing.

Fire up the "blue wrench" and cut the suckers out! Won't take but a little touch-up to cover the burn marks!

Merry Christmas all!!!! {as I look at my framed Christmas present from Brain Angliss circa 1985....)

Rick

jbottini

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 01:09:30 »
Mark IV, thanks for the advice, but me and a torch is very very dangerous. Perhaps the prior postee will recall what he used to get to the rears., Jim

ak1234

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 03:13:15 »
Ah I went out and checked  .. I used a distributor wrench I think it was 10mm equals 1/2" ???? you know the old angle distributor wrench for the ford distributor .. what was the cost ??? to pull the leather ????  my seat pad when I bought the car was walking foward .. so I removed the seat and un nailed it and pulled it back and re nailed it....cost as you said just some skinned knuckles...LOL

Ron

jbottini

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 12:39:16 »
Ron, Thanks  a lot...I'm off to auto parts store so I can fix the  "walk" myself or drop seats at upholsterer. Jim

ak1234

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 13:21:30 »
you dont need no stinking apoulsterer.............. its really very easy ..

jbottini

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 16:46:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by ak1234

you dont need no stinking apoulsterer.............. its really very easy ..

Ron, thanks, I tried the wrenches...worked well on front bolts still not enough room on rears. Sat in seat  and gave it a good pull forward and viola'  now I can use a small socket set on rears. Please describe your repair for walking cushion and did you have tears in the leather tabs going down into seat back?. Better yet email phone number and I'll call you . Jim

ak1234

• View Profile
Mark IV seat removal
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 02:45:59 »
John sorry just got back to the site ... sent you an email with my cell ... call me during the day .. I will do my best to give you some tips.

Ron