Author Topic: Buckland LYD 512  (Read 7055 times)

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« on: March 09, 2011, 18:44:33 »
New thread for LYDSI as she is known.

The restoration..."dismantlisation"...is in full flow. I thought it was a useful project for our apprentice to get his teeth into without worrying about customers.

The main point to have struck me so far is the condition of everything. No rot, and purely surface rust. The ply in the floor is questionable, and the carpets ropey, but nothing beyond salvage.

However, with reference to the attached photos, is this evidence of "drophead droop"? The angle doesn't look factory fitted, and although the doors open and shut well, the gaps are closer at the top than the bottoms of the door. Is this a common problem, and if so, is there a cure whilst reconstructing?

Many thanks

James

ACOCArch

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 16:43:18 »
Dear Scud,  Whilst I am no expert in restoring Two-Litres, it does look from your second photo as if the bottom of the two struts which form the 'A' post on each side are rotten.

I assume all Two-Litre models are similar construction in this area. The struts should key into the cill horizontal frame, and without this the whole scuttle will tend to fall backwards - more so on the Drophead and Buckland which does not have the bracing of the roof structure. This could be a contributory factor in the symptoms you describe.

If you can send me your e-mail address I will forward you a copy of that section from Ian Strange's excellent drawing of the 2-Litre frame.

With best wishes

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 16:41:25 »
Regular updates on progress are being placed on Martin Port's Buckland pages on facebook. I'm too busy/lazy to set up my own, and I think it might turn into a race which helps spur us both on.

http://www.facebook.com/login/setashome.php?ref=home#!/acrestoration

I have been through some old files, and found some paperwork relevant to NNU 333, (a 2 litre, chassis EL1075, eng UMB1095,) including a green log book, chassis no. plate from the bulkhead, and old invoices. There are also lots of old ACOC reports and documents, which I have no need to keep, though I wouldn't throw them out. Do the archives want these?

I also have an AC Ace Handbook which is of no great relevance, (yet[:D]), if there is someone who would like it.

Thanks

James

ACOCArch

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 02:07:34 »
Dear James,  Info on NNU 333 etc etc would be much appreciated in the Archive.

With regards,  John

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 16:42:23 »
Though not quite ready for a top coat just yet, I want to look at paint colours. the chassis is sand blasted, primed and black. The body was green, and I wish to keep it as near original as possible.

Is there a definitive AC green from the early '50s? LYD appears to be a mid metallic green, though the shades vary across the body.

Thanks

James

nikbj68

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 18:18:14 »
It looks quite similar to the 'Dualessence Mist Green' that was used on the Le Mans cars, if that`s any help.

PPJ834

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:10 »
Hello James. I have a period catalogue for the saloon which includes colour schemes. There were no greens as such but a "National Grey" which is described as a "Greeny Grey" this would have had a beige or red interior.If what you can see of the original paint is a metalic finish then it may well have been a "Jewelessence" as mine is "Slate Grey Jewelessence" I'll try attaching pictures.
    Tony

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 14:31:55 »
Thanks Tony, and nik, very helpful.

The Bucklands don't have colour records like the saloon. However, LYD512 has green leather seats and green carpets etc. and green metallic paint a little lighter than BRG. We are polishing up a front wing to see how it looks. Will try to get a decent photo.

Progress can be followed here http://www.facebook.com/#!/acrestoration for anyone interested. Not sure we'll be done for August bank holiday, but end of summertime is  in with a shout.

James

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 19:59:36 »
Was our coach builder an icecream fan?

Any clues as to the number "99" being found writen in different ways on original components?

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 18:31:18 »
Any information on the "P" trim seals between the panels gratefully received. The originals are in good condition, but it would seem sensible to replace them.

Thanks

James

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 20:00:00 »
Just started fitting the new loom. Unfortunately not quite as per wiring diagram so plenty of head scratching.

Whilst setting the timing before fitting distributor, we found no 1 inlet valve sticking. Fortunately it appears to have freed off after some TLC. Are these plugs collectors items? They have cleaned up pretty well. I have been advised to fit Iridium plugs. Is this due to modern fuel?

Thanks,

James

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 19:27:23 »
Whilst bead blasting the horns, it has come to light that one is 12v and one is 24v. Was this a primative way of hi-lo tones?

Thanks,

James

scud

• View Profile
Buckland LYD 512
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 16:49:02 »
Further evidence of this car being an AC as opposed to a Buckland build. On cleaning up the vin plate, the no "99" appeared, as per the post above.