Author Topic: Windshield strength  (Read 2095 times)

AC Bill

• View Profile
Windshield strength
« on: August 31, 2010, 07:22:30 »
I finished installing my windshield today, and quite frankly was suprised at how little actually holds it in place.

My windhield has four tiny screws that go through the side support bars and into this thin strip of brass that's inserted in the windshield frame. There is only about two or three threads of these small screws holding them in place. Apparently you can easily strip this brass strip if you overtighten the screws, but as well can actually cause the glass to crack if threaded in to far.

I'm dumbfounded that there is so little support for it in a car that can cruise at 100mph plus. The wind resistance must be quite high, as the windscreen isn't angled back enough to be very aerodynamic.

Has there ever been an issue with this, IE; windshield ripping off the posts? How the heck do they stay put? I added some locktite to the screws, hoping that this may help, a little anyways..

AC Bill

• View Profile
Windshield strength
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 15:18:37 »
I was suprised that there were no comments whatsoever regarding this topic, considering the number of views. I gather from the silence, that there never has been any issues with them loosening, or means of improving the mounting method?

C9OBY

• View Profile
Windshield strength
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 20:52:35 »
Bill, I've not heard of any problems.  However, I'm surprised that you have so little thread holding your screen.  Mine's just been off & back on the car and there was certainly sufficient penetration from the 4 screws.  Remember, the screws are really only holding the windscreen supports onto the windscreen, as the uprights themselves 'clamp' around the screen, giving further resistance to any forward/back forces.