Author Topic: Monterey Vintage Week  (Read 5628 times)

jrlucke

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« on: August 18, 2012, 04:12:22 »
Anybody recognize this Ace? Jim Feldman's 2.6?

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3700.asp?id=16235

On the 2012 Pebble Beach driving tour.

In the review of the pre-reunion races, great shot of Rob's Aceca in a nosedive with front tires locked up going into the cork screw.

John

nikbj68

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 13:28:47 »
John, couldn`t find the Aceca shot, do you have a link please?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 16:10:51 »
Nik...

I didn't look for it as I assumed John refered to the picture being in a / the  Printed Revue of the Pre-Reunion races.

Could be wrong, However if someone can Post the picture of Rob's Aceca entering The Corkscrew,  we would love to see it.[;)]

In the meantime, looking forward to some pictures from Monterey.

Keith..[:)]

jrlucke

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 19:07:17 »
Here are the photos:

From Classic Driver report on Monterey 2012 events (photo just below blue Cobra in mid-article):

From Sports Car Digest report of 2012 Monterey Pre-Reunion:

John

nikbj68

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 19:17:12 »
GREAT SHOTS!!! Looks like a great move occuring there, loving your work, Rob!

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:32:18 »
The smoking tire shot is entering turn 11 just before the front straight.  I had a great battle all weekend with the Lotus and a few others.  The bottom shot is indeed exiting the corkscrew.  Too much fun for any one man...but somehow I manage!  Can't wait until next year!

jrlucke

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:52 »
Rob, there's another shot amongst the many from different sources of you in what appears to be turn 11 showing a HUGE amount of roll.

It does indeed look like tons of fun!

John

AC Bill

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 20:08:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by AcecaRacer

The smoking tire shot is entering turn 11 just before the front straight.  I had a great battle all weekend with the Lotus and a few others.  The bottom shot is indeed exiting the corkscrew.  Too much fun for any one man...but somehow I manage!  Can't wait until next year!

So you own that car..nice!
   I loved seeing it. Been years since I've seen an Aceca. There used to be one that raced at the old Westwood race track (in British Columbia), way back in the sixties, and I think that is the last one I ever saw up close.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 01:58:09 »
AC Bill.

Could that Aceca have been  Jim Milligans.. of  Bon Accord, Alberta..[?]

Have a Black and white picture of Jim Milligans Aceca towing his Ace Bristol parked up on Robson Street in Vancouver dated 1960.

Do you have any detials of either AC and Jim Milligan.

My BEX333 raced at Westwood, DeerPark, Shelton, Ellensburg & Abottsford by James H Parsons during 1958 through to Dec 1964. please refere to My thread BEX333 Racing History (1957 -1964) on this forum. (last post May 2012)

Any information appreciated.

Cheers

shep

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 15:14:28 »
Hi Rob, lovely move up the inside under braking! Take that you little Lotus! Your Aceca looks very like the one competed by Alastair Caldwell, is hat just coincidence? Keep up the good work, Andy.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 19:49:29 »
Andy.

Adrian Hall had this Aceca late 1980s [?], granted FIA papers April 1990 and raced & Rallied through to 2001.[?].

I know it appeared on e-bay jan 2010 and then went to Rob Fisher.

Between 2001 and 2010, was it owned by Alastair Caldwell..[?]

In the ACOC register dated 2001 the last owner was recorded as
   D Braslau.  Too save speculation, Maybe Terry Richards the ACOC Aceca Bristol Registrar can elaborate or Rob can confirm accurate History of this heavily campaigned Aceca..[;)]

What ever, I would say It is still in the hands of a good Custodian who uses it and thoroughly enjoys it,  Long may it give satisfaction.[;)]

Aceca289

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 17:09:16 »
quote:
Between 2001 and 2010, was it owned by Alastair Caldwell..[?]

Keith,

When I first saw Ron’s car come up for sale a number of years ago I also thought it might be Alastair’s Aceca…with the La Carrera PanAmericana connection and the vivid red color. But it appears not to be the case. Here’s a link to Alastair’s website.

http://www.alastaircaldwell.com/the-cars/alastairs-cars-index/ac-aceca/

You can see Alastair’s Aceca has a number of differences such as no hood scoop, no side vents, different roofs…and a different registration number. Great similarities in use though…both cars heavily campaigned![:D]

Btw - There was a great article on one of Alistar’s La Carrera runs in the March 2000 edition of ACtion...and another article about a year later.

John[:)]

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 18:25:23 »
John.

Well I be Blowed.  Theres 2 OF EM...[;)]
   Good observation, must visit the opticians.

Allastair Caldwells 2.6 Ford powered AE499
   and the Ex Adrian Hall Bristol powered BE603

The 2.6 if with a Amazon gearbox would give plenty of grunt and a great tourer,  However I'm biased and love the free revving Bristol.

Both have attitude,  But BE603 looks more purposfull, therefore I'll go with BE603.

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
Monterey Vintage Week
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 00:25:20 »
Thanks for all of the kind words about BE603.  She has been a blast to race.  Not too fun to drive on the road due to the track tuning, but she sure gets the looks!

The best part is when I park somewhere and someone walks up to me and asks me what she is.  Then, I tell them and watch the politeness take over when the complete lack of knowledge kicks in.  They usually will say "Oh yeah" or "Oh wow" etc.  Then I let them off the hook by saying "it's Ok, no one knows what it is".

My dream is to run her in the Mille Miglia - perhaps next year?

FYI - after Adrian owned and raced her, she was sold at auction to the famous vintage owner and racer Bruce McCaw who owned her for about 6 or so years.  He did the California Mille and the Colorado Grand before selling her to a chap in Monterey who also did the Cal Mille and a bit of track time.

We have a few more races this season, then I will put her to sleep for a few months while I sort out a few bits and bobs...