Author Topic: AC Owners’ Club 2013 Clubman’s Sprint Meeting  (Read 20107 times)

hawk289

• View Profile
AC Owners’ Club 2013 Clubman’s Sprint Meeting
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 20:10:57 »
Bruce,

Well done, what a great event today. Strange being on the other side, top job much better than my first sprint! Keep up the great work and looking forward to next year already.

John

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2013, 00:07:55 »
Bruce.

Thanks for organising a great 2013 ACOC GoodWood Sprint,  Well Done Bruce and Team, not forgetting the Marshalls, without the event couldn't run...[;)]

Nice to catch up with many friends  both familiar and new, great competitive spirit, good weather bar the 45 minute shower, which certainly made for interesting 2nd runs.

Well done Bruce, you have definitely taken over from the capable hands of John Able, looking forward to ACOC GoodWood Sprint 2014.

Last but not least,  Barry (my Son) would like some video footage
   of his Anglia Lotus Twin Cam car number 8,  Car went well and sounded great, But the driver (yours truelly) could do better..[;)].

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 08:37:35 »
Dear all

Thank you to everyone for your participation and good spirits throughout the day, l am very glad that everyone had a great day and that includes all the Marshals and supporting officials.  All of the hard work behind the scenes is worth it when we have a field full of competitors who're enjoying themselves, staying safe and most of all smiling all day long!

We arrived at the circuit to be greeted by Goodwood's traditional early morning mist, although it quickly gave way to sunshine and light wind by the time the drivers briefing had completed, however the track remained damp following overnight rain.

Everyone completed their timed practice laps without incident, with some impressive times achieved despite the somewhat slippery conditions, Malcolm Young managing a 99.73 lap in his Cobra 289.  By lunch time the sun and increasing wind had done a good job of drying the track, resulting in almost everyone rushing to be first out on track to lay down their first timed run of the day.

All went well for about an hour, at which point the drizzle/rain gods decided to pay us a visit.  It only lasted about 20-30 minutes, but the damage had been done.  Those competitors kind enough to keep on running saw their lap times falling below their practice runs, but with strong winds and sun blowing the wet off the track confidence increased towards the end of the day and we were back into some quicker times, albeit still not as quick as many practice times.  Being within sight of home-time, almost everyone sensibly decided that it would be better to get their cars home in one piece than risk a dent on a final silly lap!

Following completion of the timed run section, the track crew kept the track open for another 30 minutes or so to allow anyone who wanted extra 'free laps' to go out and do so, which was much appreciated by a number of drivers.  I had to leave my post on the timing wall in order to finalise my MSA paperwork and compute the class winners for the day, so I'm afraid I can't tell you what times were achieved in this last period, but they were definitely getting quicker again.

To everyone who stayed on to attend the prize giving, thank you very much for being so patient while I first completed my formalities with our MSA-appointed steward.  Ensuring that we are 100% MSA compliant is extremely important and ensures that our event is as safe as possible for everyone involved, both on and off the track.  I am very glad to report that once again we had not a single issue raised by our steward and he left our Sprint fully satisfied with all of our procedures and the performance of all Officials and Safety Staff.  He was also extremely complimentary about our Club and hopes to be re-appointed to our Sprint again next year.

Before I give you the overall results, it's worth mentioning that the 'Sprint crew' included 66 officially signed-on officials, supporting 58 competitors.  Now that's what I call good service and is a key reason why we are consistently able to provide everyone with what is routinely described as one of the most well organised and simultaneously relaxed events on the MSA calendar.  Thank you very much to the Goodwood Motor Circuit staff and all of our own Club officials, I trust that you all slept well last night (as did I!!).

See you all again next year!!

PS: If anyone would like one of the official "2013 Goodwood Sprint" embroidered iron-on patches as given to all competitors and club officials, please contact me as I have about 22 left.  They are £5 each plus postage, with all proceeds being going to the ACOC to help offset the costs of running the event.

Official class winners (for non-AC classes, 2nd and 2nd/3rd place awards are linked to class size):-

Class 5,6,7 (AC Aceca / Ace Bristol / Aceca Bristol)
   1st: Andy Shepherd, Ace Bristol, 104.62
   2nd: David Bennett, Ace Bristol
   3rd: Steven Deacy, Aceca

Class 11,12,15 (AC Cobra / Frua / Cobra MKIV)
   1st: Malcolm Thorne, Cobra MKIV Superblower, 104.10
   2nd: Martin Hunt, Cobra 289
   3rd: Malcolm Young, Cobra 289

Class 10,14,16 (AC Greyhound / 3000ME / Brooklands Ace)
   1st: David Goose, Brooklands Ace, 121,97
   2nd: Bryan Moseley, 3000ME
   3rd: Nick Allen, Greyhound Bristol

Class 17a (AC Member not driving an AC Car)
   1st: Jon Doubleday, Ford Cortina, 107.18
   2nd: Martin Hunt, Mini Cooper
   3rd: Sarah Thorne, Lotus Elise

Class 17b (AC Member not driving an AC Car)
   1st: Wil Arif, MG FIA Roadster, 121.90
   2nd Colin Newbold, MG FIA Roadster
   3rd: Keith Lessiter, Ford Anglia

Class 18 (Aston Martin Owners' Club)
   1st: Nigel Grice, DB2/4, 132.36

Class 20 (VSCC)
   1st: Patrick Blakeney Edwards, Austin Healey 3000, 105.16
   2nd: Spike Milligan, Connaught A7

Class 27 (The Pre-War Austin Seven Club)
   1st: Martin Whittaker, Austin Seven Single Seater, 150.11
   2nd: Vince Leek, Austin Seven Single Seater, 154.27

Class 21 (BMW Historic Motor Club)
   1st: Peter Campbell, Wingfield Bristol Special, 108.86
   2nd: Alastair Pugh, Frazer Nash BMW 328
   3rd:Tom Thornton, Frazer Nash BMW 319/28 Special

Class 23 (Frazer Nash Car Club)
   1st Patrick Blakeney Edwards, 118.78
   2nd: Philip Champion, Frazer Nash Millie Millia

Class 24 (BARC)
   1st: Glyn Skethley, Force GT, 98.05
   2nd: Kirby Boggis, BMW E30-M3

Class 25,17 (Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club and AC Owners' Club Jaguars)
   1st: Chris Keith-Lucas, Jaguar XK120, 110.64
   2nd: Paul Kennely, Jaguar E-type Semi-Lightweight
   3rd: Nick FInburgh, Jaguar C-type

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 16:49:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY

Dear all

Thank you to everyone for your participation and good spirits throughout the day, l am very glad that everyone had a great day and that includes all the Marshals and supporting officials.  All of the hard work behind the scenes is worth it when we have a field full of competitors who're enjoying themselves, staying safe and most of all smiling all day long!

We arrived at the circuit to be greeted by Goodwood's traditional early morning mist, although it quickly gave way to sunshine and light wind by the time the drivers briefing had completed, however the track remained damp following overnight rain.

Everyone completed their timed practice laps without incident, with some impressive times achieved despite the somewhat slippery conditions, Malcolm Young managing a 99.73 lap in his Cobra 289.  By lunch time the sun and increasing wind had done a good job of drying the track, resulting in almost everyone rushing to be first out on track to lay down their first timed run of the day.

All went well for about an hour, at which point the drizzle/rain gods decided to pay us a visit.  It only lasted about 20-30 minutes, but the damage had been done.  Those competitors kind enough to keep on running saw their lap times falling below their practice runs, but with strong winds and sun blowing the wet off the track confidence increased towards the end of the day and we were back into some quicker times, albeit still not as quick as many practice times.  Being within sight of home-time, almost everyone sensibly decided that it would be better to get their cars home in one piece than risk a dent on a final silly lap!

Following completion of the timed run section, the track crew kept the track open for another 30 minutes or so to allow anyone who wanted extra 'free laps' to go out and do so, which was much appreciated by a number of drivers.  I had to leave my post on the timing wall in order to finalise my MSA paperwork and compute the class winners for the day, so I'm afraid I can't tell you what times were achieved in this last period, but they were definitely getting quicker again.

To everyone who stayed on to attend the prize giving, thank you very much for being so patient while I first completed my formalities with our MSA-appointed steward.  Ensuring that we are 100% MSA compliant is extremely important and ensures that our event is as safe as possible for everyone involved, both on and off the track.  I am very glad to report that once again we had not a single issue raised by our steward and he left our Sprint fully satisfied with all of our procedures and the performance of all Officials and Safety Staff.  He was also extremely complimentary about our Club and hopes to be re-appointed to our Sprint again next year.

Before I give you the overall results, it's worth mentioning that the 'Sprint crew' included 66 officially signed-on officials, supporting 62 competitors.  Now that's what I call good service and is a key reason why we are consistently able to provide everyone with what is routinely described as one of the most well organised and simultaneously relaxed events on the MSA calendar.  Thank you very much to the Goodwood Motor Circuit staff and all of our own Club officials, I trust that you all slept well last night (as did I!!).

See you all again next year!!

PS: If anyone would like one of the official "2013 Goodwood Sprint" embroidered iron-on patches as given to all competitors and club officials, please contact me as I have about 22 left.  They are £5 each plus postage, with all proceeds being going to the ACOC to help offset the costs of running the event.

Official class winners (for non-AC classes, 2nd and 2nd/3rd place awards are linked to class size):-

Class 5,6,7 (AC Aceca / Ace Bristol / Aceca Bristol)
   1st: Andy Shepherd, Ace Bristol, 104.62
   2nd: David Bennett, Ace Bristol
   3rd: Steven Deacy, Aceca

Class 11,12,15 (AC Cobra / Frua / Cobra MKIV)
   1st: Malcolm Thorne, Cobra MKIV Superblower, 104.10
   2nd: Martin Hunt, Cobra 289
   3rd: Malcolm Young, Cobra 289

Class 10,14,16 (AC Greyhound / 3000ME / Brooklands Ace)
   1st: David Goose, Brooklands Ace, 121,97
   2nd: Bryan Moseley, 3000ME
   3rd: Nick Allen, Greyhound Bristol

Class 17a (AC Member not driving an AC Car)
   1st: Jon Doubleday, Ford Cortina, 107.18
   2nd: Martin Hunt, Mini Cooper
   3rd: Sarah Thorne, Lotus Elise

Class 17b (AC Member not driving an AC Car)
   1st: Wil Arif, MG FIA Roadster, 121.90
   2nd Colin Newbold, MG FIA Roadster
   3rd: Keith Lessiter, Ford Anglia

Class 18 (Aston Martin Owners' Club)
   1st: Nigel Grice, DB2/4, 132.36

Class 20 (VSCC)
   1st: Patrick Blakeney Edwards, Austin Healey 3000, 105.16
   2nd: Spike Milligan, Connaught A7

Class 27 (The Pre-War Austin Seven Club)
   1st: Martin Whittaker, Austin Seven Single Seater, 150.11
   2nd: Vince Leek, Austin Seven Single Seater, 154.27

Class 21 (BMW Historic Motor Club)
   1st: Peter Campbell, Wingfield Bristol Special, 108.86
   2nd: Alastair Pugh, Frazer Nash BMW 328
   3rd:Tom Thornton, Frazer Nash BMW 319/28 Special

Class 23 (Frazer Nash Car Club)
   1st Patrick Blakeney Edwards, 118.78
   2nd: Philip Champion, Frazer Nash Millie Millia

Class 24 (BARC)
   1st: Glyn Skethley, Force GT, 98.05
   2nd: Kirby Boggis, BMW E30-M3

Class 25,17 (Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club and AC Owners' Club Jaguars)
   1st: Chris Keith-Lucas, Jaguar XK120, 110.64
   2nd: Paul Kennely, Jaguar E-type Semi-Lightweight
   3rd: Nick FInburgh, Jaguar C-type

Keith , nice to catch up yesterday , if you get in touch with me, I will see what I can do regarding some video footage as my friend Nigel was covering the event with his camcorder.

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 17:23:10 »
Aaron, does your friend place his video on Youtube? I saw he was very active with the camcorder?

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2013, 17:47:50 »
Thanks to Bruce, Michael and John for paddock marshalling, Mike Smith as unflappable Clerk of the Course and all the others who tirelessly make it all look easy!  Another great meeting and season closer.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2013, 17:47:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by hawk289

Aaron, does your friend place his video on Youtube? I saw he was very active with the camcorder?

NO John, he does not own a computer.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 00:23:24 »
   Aaron.

Have emailed you my details, Please confirm your tel number by return and I will speak to you within next 24hrs.

Cheers for now and thank you for your prompt and  positive response to my request...[;)]

Keith..[:)]

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2013, 11:48:31 »
Bruce & the team.

Many thanks for a wonderful day, well organised, well attended and thoroughly enjoyed by all.

I can't believe you got the results posted so quickly !

SB7015

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 14:18:04 »
An excellent follow on to John Abel's smooth handover of operations to Bruce. Well done to Bruce's excellent support team in the paddock Michael & John. Special thanks to Mike Smith for his gentle but stern control as usual.

Malcolm & Sarah

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 16:29:03 »
Thank you to everyone who shook our hands on the day and to everyone who's sent through emails and online posts thanking us for the work done.  It truly was a team effort.

From my perspective, it was fascinating being on the 'inside' for a change and seeing how everyone dovetailed with each other, always with a smile and a chuckle.  Mike and team make is look soooo easy (and it's not, I can assure you), and Michael did a fantastic job of keeping the paddock moving, despite the short burst of rain.

Being that there are so many people involved in making the event 'work', it's entirely possible to risk upsetting one person by mentioning another.  However, taking for granted that the success of the event was entirely due to the hard work of every single individual who helped on the day, I would nonetheless like to specifically thank Matthew Feltham and Richard Stubberfield who acted as my arms, legs and ears throughout the day, as without them I'd have been a shaky blob by the end of the day!  I may need to bribe them in order to get them to resume duties with me next year, but without them my workflow would not have appeared nearly as smooth to onlookers.

Well done to all of our competitors for the incident free day and for their enthusiastic participation, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the 2014 event.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 17:56:41 »
Photos courtesy of Peter deRousset-Hall

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 18:05:34 »
Photos courtesy of Steven Deacy's daughter

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 19:36:12 »
Images deleted ? Were they posted without permission ?

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 23:01:05 »
No. More likely, Bruce has shifted them to his "2013 ACOC Sprint Album" after posting the images here. [;)]

You can call the dogs off now. [:p]