Author Topic: Good 289 Race Engine Tuners in the South  (Read 12160 times)

jellison

• View Profile
Good 289 Race Engine Tuners in the South
« on: March 14, 2007, 09:35:47 »
Any ideas chaps.  Need to build mine to FIA Full race spec.

Anyone on here done this and have name of people to use or ping ideas / question off?[:)]

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:26:21 »
Hi Jelly,
   I have my car looked after by Thunder Road near Woking and they recomend Peter Knight engines. His engines are in some very well known race winning Cobras.
   http://www.knightracingservices.co.uk/
   Cheers - John.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 14:49:27 »
You could also try (Mike) Huddart Racing Engines, as I know that he worked on 39PH`s engine a few years ago & my Dad got some 'hot' headers for his Mustang from him. Ok, not in the South, (Located in Shropshire, but I don`t have an address to hand.) but might be worth the trek?
   Also there was someome near Silverstone who`s name escapes me right now....help?

jellison

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:16:12 »
Thanks Chaps - think it is mainly going to be for the heads - locat V8 Race engine builder (my ex-engine builder before we started doing it ourselves) will likely do the bottom end need the HiPo heads done to there MAx within FIA rules.

Cheers
   Jelly

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 09:10:56 »
Just to let you know, Peter Knight builds the best and I understand most powerful FIA motors going. He builds all the original engines in the Shelby Mustangs I restore and each completed motor is fully dyno tested prior to collection. In my humble opinion, theres no one better. He can be reached on 01327-881177.
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens [MkIV Registrar]

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 21:40:23 »
The most important phrases in motor racing worth remembering are:
   'To finish first, first you gotta finish'
   'Speed costs money, how fast do you wanna go?'
   'BHP sells engines but torque wins races'
   In my experience don't get dazzled by megga claimed horsepower, go to the best you can afford, and build an engine which is tractable and reliable. Spend the money you save on not having to rebuild it 3 times a year on learning to use the power you have to its best advantage. A well driven car will beat another with lots more power. Peter Knight is very good and I also had dozens of victories using Stuart Mathieson's engines from Mathwall Engineering, Thursley, Surrey. Good Luck,Andy.

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 07:37:40 »
Andy,

100% correct, racing becomes really hard if you are blowing engines. I still struggle by people who will accept the blowing up of a Bristol engine each season or more. My Ac Ace Bristol had a very 100d until the previous owner decided to put the piston through the block. Now I'm planning to race with a Zephyr that has been tuned to around 240-245BHP but the torque is around 260-270 Lbs. Now this is as much power you can get out of Zephyr without blowing every race.

Some people tell me that they can get over 280BHP out of a zephyr, who cares!. As you say driving with style in a good car will always look more impressive than a guy who spends twice the money and blows an engine each race.

Also agree Peter Knight is a top man for race engines.

John.