Author Topic: Vintage AC for sale in France  (Read 3785 times)

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale in France
« on: August 23, 2014, 19:51:24 »

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 12:55:37 »
This is the one that was sold by Brooklands Motor Co a little while back. It is not a vintage motorcar as it was apparently assembled in 1932 from various parts left from the demise of AC (Acedes) Ltd, three years earlier, in 1929. It has a 4-cylinder engine from 1927 (or earlier), an Aceca body from 1928/9, a 1932 radiator cowl, headlamps that look too small for late-vintage period, and rear sprung bumpers (that were never fitted in production).....an oddball indeed

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:30 »
It is the only known survivor of 50 cars assembled largely from stock parts after the Hurlocks purchased AC.  The register shows it was ex-works in 1931.  It may be a bit of an oddball but represents the period when the Hurlocks were encouraged that there was a market for the AC and went ahead with new production (and a four speed gearbox) a year later.

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:04 »
Surely that radiator (and the sprung bumpers) was not shown to the public (i.e. on the Hurlock’s new saloon model) until 1932?

Would AC have sold this car with the newly-designed radiator incorporated (a novel and fashionable selling feature) a year earlier than release and production?

ACOCArch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 13:04:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jam2

Noticed this for sale

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/696472734.htm?ca=12_s

The car and its history were fully described in the October 2010 ACtion Archive

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:32 »
This is an 'open forum', read by members and non-members alike so there are many who have not seen or read the archive from four years ago.

My French remains at schoolboy level but doesn't the sales description (link above) say this car was 'assembled' in 1928/9 and that 'thirty' were built from parts? (= different to above)

I cannot see the AC 'new management' at the time selling an old model with their new-style radiator (which had yet to be seen by the public, on the new and first ‘Hurlock’ model) so I'm thinking (1) the car is later than 1931 (maybe 1932) or (2) it has been further modified, after 1931, with later parts (like the radiator).

It questions the date of production and registration of this car - the advert says one thing, the ACOC another, and I'm even suggesting a third alternative. This only adds to my view that this car is far from true vintage and both period and provenance, of course, are important with desirability and pricing.

If the ACtion article is accurate and answers the above I would appreciate a short summary.

Thanks

Old Crock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 20:15:55 »
I have received an Email asking me to clarify my use of the word ‘vintage’ in the above posting.

Here in the UK the following terms are used with motorcars:

Veteran – cars up to and including 1904
   Edwardian – cars built 1905 to 1918 inclusive
   Vintage – cars built 1919 to 1930 inclusive
   Post Vintage Thoroughbred (PVT) – cars built 1931 to 1940 inclusive
   Classic – post-war, from 1945

These are broad terms, with ongoing debate on which marques/models belong within these terms (particularly the last two).