Author Topic: ac water pump  (Read 3664 times)

colin ac

• View Profile
ac water pump
« on: May 08, 2013, 22:09:16 »
i hope somebody can help,iam looking for a water pump for my ac 6,i have no water pump at all as the previous owner had an outlet pipe affair made to fit in place of pump relying on thermsyphon principal(i dont know if that idea would ever worked !!)i am trying to get an old worn unit or internal workings as an engineering template or a complete working unit thanks colin

Old Crock

• View Profile
ac water pump
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 23:11:37 »
quote:
Originally posted by colin ac

iam looking for a water pump for my ac 6

What year is the car?

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
ac water pump
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 00:12:09 »
Thermo syphon works on my "Swift"  but its only a 4 cylinder & the Magneto timing needs to be spot on with no retardation.

The Australian "Swift" crew run an inline electric water pump as an "assist" to the Thermo syphon principal, so sourcing one of those whilst looking for the correct mechanical pump might work for you.

Graham

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ac water pump
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:38:08 »
Try Rod Briggs http://www.ac-6.co.uk/ or Colin Dunn http://www.vintageconnections.net/

I don't think Robin Woolmer has much vintage stuff but he may also be worth a call  http://www.ac-project.co.uk/index.html

Old Crock

• View Profile
ac water pump
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:48 »
The year of Colin's car is relevant. If the car is vintage the water pump was slightly changed late 20's to suit the later high radiator (1928/9).

The club do have the machined casings for these cars - these are expensive (£550) but do allow a solution as the impeller, shaft and bearings can be sourced (though not original) or these replicated from original samples which can be provided. The top spout will require an additional collar to suit the taller rad.

The problem with any surviving original vintage pumps, after 80+ years, is corrosion (that curse of the AC engine). Sometimes these pumps can be repaired though, but you first have to find one (they are as rare as hens teeth).

Rod does not have any camshaft-driven vintage water pumps, but he has the PVT, and later, belt-driven ones which are very different. Robin is very likely the same, but I'll let him answer. If Colin has a used original one then it's back to checking corrosion/porosity.

colin ac

• View Profile
ac water pump
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 18:38:25 »
sorry gentleman the year of my car is 1924

Old Crock

• View Profile
ac water pump
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 17:25:24 »
Colin - If you want to use the car in today's traffic the thermosyphon idea isn't going to work - an electric fan is needed, let alone a water pump to aid circulation.

There are answers; an original pump, or make a pattern, or assemble from new casings, or alternative pump etc.

I have sent you an Email with my telephone number. Let's have a chat....there's an answer somehow!