Author Topic: New member, sadly obsessed with ace's  (Read 4979 times)

philt68

• View Profile
New member, sadly obsessed with ace's
« on: February 15, 2012, 23:21:28 »
I'm one of those sad chaps who's obsessed with the ac ace...here's my question-finding a car with an original engine seems enormously expensive-but it's not so hard to find a nice car that had its engine replaced-but i'm concerned about what happens when it comes to resale-won't it be very hard to sell without the original engine?

Any thoughts? Or for that matter, anyone interested In selling me their car? Left hand drive please, I'm stuck in the states!

Thanks for advice, commiserations, etc..

Phil

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:23:31 »
Welcome to the forum, Phil! Nothing sad about your choice of obsession. [;)]
   Selling an Ace with or without the original engine (or even no engine at all!) will not be a problem for you, it`s how much you are prepared to take for it that is the issue. If you can buy one without original engine for a reasonable price, expect to sell it the same!
   There are a number of viable 'period correct' engines that would be cheaper to source & maintain than a Bristol, the main thing is to enjoy using your Ace and worry about resale if or when the need arises! Good luck on your quest.

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 19:32:10 »
AEX 115 will be on sale with next issue at Hemmings. It has a Ford V 6 Capri engine(German Ford) fitted. The owner expects around $ 150k

philt68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 20:42:59 »
Well I suppose the next question is how tricky/delicate are the original engines to maintain? As stephan says, there is one with a Capri engine for sale-I had a nie chat with the owner, who said all the right things....

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 19:22:13 »
AC engined cars tend to be a bit less valuable than Bristol engined cars secondary to difference in performance. Rebuilding a Bristol might cost you up to $20K, I've rebuilt my AC engine. Lots, if not all parts are now available again through Robin Woolmer and Rod Briggs. Or an entire fresh built AC motor can be done... I like my AC motor. It runs very well, so far proven reliable and does about 25 miles to the gallon.... I would venture to say, without checking all of my receipts, that the complete rebuild of my engine set me back about $8K, but don't hold me to that. I would guess the engine to have about 100HP at this time. I used new Con Rods, cam, valves, springs, pistons, sleeves, distributor (123 ignition)etc, etc. If I remember right the timing gearing and chain were in great shape. We re-ground the Crank and fit new bearings. If you're in the Michigan region, I can put you in touch with my engine builder, in case you decide on an AC engine.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:23:33 »
An AC engine has popped up on eBay for £4000, 1 day left, no bids.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 10:36:04 »
An AC engined Ace lapped two Bristol engined Ace's at Silverstone on Saturday & it only had a standard cam & set up, we will see how much better the Ace can be with a better cam etc soon?

Robin

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:01:11 »
WOW! What sort of work(or more to the point, cost!) would be required to take an engine like the saloon version above up to that sort of performance Robin?

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 13:20:56 »
Better Valve opening/cam, higher compression & good carburation & timing, A lighter car helps of course, but do not forget the driver!Also hope your bottom end can take it!
   Robin

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 23:52:54 »
The engine on eBay probably started life in Aceca AE 559, originally exported to Canada. That is, if I read the engine number correctly from the picture: CL 2254 W.

Jerry

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 13:22:09 »
Nice detectivework, Jerry, I just assumed it was 2-litre saloon as it was described as having the wrong carbs, but the same guy is selling a set of SU`s from a 2-litre!

Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 21:05:55 »
I have owned Aceca AE559 since the late seventies (sadly without the proper engine).
   I wonder why, when my car was LHD and sent to Toronto Canada when new ( I looked in the big factory handwritten ledger book in the early 90"s in Weybridge to verify it was AE) shouldn't the car have had an AEX number?
   Also amazing to see the original engine CL 2254W got back to England

Jim

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 00:36:27 »
But does it have an AE or AEX number on the chassis plate? In other words, do the factory ledger and the chassis plate match?
   It is not unheard of that there are some mistakes in the ledger, most of them small but the total absence of BEX 1213 could be considered major!

Jerry

3.8Jaguar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 13:05:17 »
We have seen a number of AE cars that have been converted to Bristol and 2.6 engine configurations that have still sold very strongly.
   Prices are holding for good examples between £130,000 to £160,000 dependent on History ( these are via private sales I know of) Auction prices do seem to be a little queer as cars expected to sell well don't and visa versa .
   If you can buy a driving ACE in good order but with the incorrect engine for under £100,000 it is still worth considering returning to an excepted engine configuration.
   Supply of a NEW Bristol engine from us is £40,000
   Original Bristol approx £27,000- £30,000 dependent on spec.