Author Topic: Ace bell housings for different engines  (Read 3341 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Ace bell housings for different engines
« on: September 01, 2008, 16:45:03 »
As I try to figure out what engine to use for AEX1078, ( I am leaning towards a 2.6) I am trying to understand what bellhousings can be used. Is there an readily available bellhousing to mate the 2.6 to Moss gear box; and if I go with the Volvo gear box identified by Keith, what bell housing can be used for the 2.6/volvo combo?
   Thanks,
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 00:45:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

As I try to figure out what engine to use for AEX1078, ( I am leaning towards a 2.6) I am trying to understand what bellhousings can be used. Is there an readily available bellhousing to mate the 2.6 to Moss gear box; and if I go with the Volvo gear box identified by Keith, what bell housing can be used for the 2.6/volvo combo?
   Thanks,
   Jay

Jay

Not 100% sure which bell housing  to employ,  please contact either of the following who have 2.6 ford engines successfully coupled to
   Volvo Amazon gearbox incl OD unit.

jonathanbradburn@btopenworld.com
   tel;    0044 1624 803 052
   www.jbradburn.co.uk

Nigel Winchester  ....   believe he manufactures  a Bellhouse adaptor
   tel:   0044 1923 264 999
   mob:   0044 7831 433 100

Hopefully by contacting either of the above .....
   all those Questioned are answered.

good luck

Keith

Kiwi 2Litre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:18:00 »
Jay, if you want to enquire about other conversions have a look at the website www.conversioncomp.com and send a question through the site to Colin. When I was working for him I know we made up a bellhousing and a clutch kit to adapt a Toyota Supra five speed to a Ford engine for an Ace in Australia and he has also made various housings for Bristol engines. I am putting a Zephyr in my saloon with a Toyota Celica box using an adaptor plate. The Supra is a great box but the Celica is fine for a road car if you are on a tight budget like me! Hope this helps, regards, Ian.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 13:17:29 »
If you have decided on the Zepher six engine, which is probably the least cost route you might consider the Ford type 9 gearbox which is 5-gears & well supported with spares & gear sets to suit your driving requirements.
   I have contacted a company in UK which recondition & sell new gear sets of various ratio's if the Type 9 would bolt directly onto the Zepher engine, the company is ' www.bghgeartech.co.uk ', when i have an answer i will post it.
   The Type9 box is extensively for Kit Cars in the UK & a second hand box can be purchased for approx £100 in UK, completely reconditioned ones with gears to suit are about £600 or so! you will see what BGH have on there site.

Robin

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 18:25:21 »
To All,
    Thanks for the help in trying to ID a bell housing options for using the 2.6. I contacted Jonathan Braeburn and in a replying e-mail he stated if I stay with a Ford gearbox then I can use the existing Ford bell housings which would simplify things considerably. He also stated that if a later Jaguar Moss box and bell housing are used, the flywheel or input shaft may need to be altered. He did not offer any suggestions for the Amazon gearbox installation.
   Does anyone know if the gearbox to bellhousing patterns for Fords are the same for US and English versions? If so, that would open up many different possibilities.
   Thanks,
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 20:49:24 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

To All,
    Thanks for the help in trying to ID a bell housing options for using the 2.6. I contacted Jonathan Braeburn and in a replying e-mail he stated if I stay with a Ford gearbox then I can use the existing Ford bell housings which would simplify things considerably. He also stated that if a later Jaguar Moss box and bell housing are used, the flywheel or input shaft may need to be altered. He did not offer any suggestions for the Amazon gearbox installation.
   Does anyone know if the gearbox to bellhousing patterns for Fords are the same for US and English versions? If so, that would open up many different possibilities.
   Thanks,
   Jay

Jay.

In UK Ford have always had the policy to standarise where ever possible,  most Ford engines (Small UK - not V8s) From the old 997cc through tp Lotus Twin Cam and Cosworth BDA /BDB etc all blocks married up to standard bell housings.  The five speed Ford box and bell housing also fits.

I'm certain that Nigel Winchester produces a Bell housing adaptor for the Amazon box and overdrive , making the 2.6 a superb torquey tourer.

What gearbox does Alastair Caldwell run in AE 499 ? with runs a very relaible and well tested 2.6 Ford lump.?

Mike Berrisford has just bought BEX693 along with Amazon Box, Ford 2.6 engine and assorted Aceca bits, from Lee Clarke ..  Another Project that if to the same standards of Mikes other AC projects will be a very good reliable set of wheels,  Might be worth following up with Nigel, Mike and Alastair .

Keith

GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 05:07:13 »
Jay..its Gary Cox (we visited on our way back from Carmel).  I have some info on the Volvo gearbox and I have a question for you.  Could you give me a ring ..tonite would be great if possible. Thanks! (949)370-2575