Author Topic: speedo and tachometer  (Read 2834 times)

AK1161

• View Profile
speedo and tachometer
« on: April 05, 2015, 21:21:47 »
I am looking to redial both my speedo and tachometer  on an AC Bristol as they have been disfigured by someone........can anybody please point me in the right direction.
   Alternatively are there any spare units out there for sale.
   Thanks in advance for any help.
   Luke

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
speedo and tachometer
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 15:15:52 »
I had some chronometric gauges completely overhauled including new dials etc. by Chris Clark contact 01773 550485, there are quite a few more people who do this work but Chris does a good job, you could consider purchasing Triumph TR2,3&4 gauges but there are some slight detail differences such as no clock in the speedo etc.
   Give Chris a call & discuss it with him I am sure he will help.

Robin

AK1161

• View Profile
speedo and tachometer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 16:17:28 »
I notice that having studied various books and info online that some cars had a separate clock and also that some speedos do not have a clock on them.......were these just variations back in the day or are they non standard and have been changed over the years.
   Luke

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
speedo and tachometer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 18:18:51 »
There are several Triumph 5" gauges on Ebay from Italy which look good, worth considering.

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
speedo and tachometer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 18:57:55 »
There were a series of subtle changes during the evolution of the Ace, many which unfortunately are not covered in Original Ace & Cobra by Rinsey Mills.

The clock was an integral part of the Speedo, then became a separate item approx. Chassis number AEX1083 [?]. Later the clock replaced the ignition switch, starter button deleted to be replaced by a key barrel BEX1210[?].
   Turn indicator warning light/s and high beam warning light also changed during history of the Ace.

Tim Isles the Official ACOC Ace Bristol Registrar and ex AC Ace Registrar has be compiling a list of variations and trying to establish date various changes were made during production, by chassis number. This type of information wasn't necessarily recorded
   during production.

May I suggest you send Tim Isles a email with photograph of your dash layout and confirmation of your chassis number, hopefully he can confirm accuracy and authenticity of you dash instrumentation.

The Speedo from a 2 litre saloon /Buckland could be the source for a speedo with clock, granted speedo face and calibration will require attention , Tim has details and has carried out conversions in the past.

Good Luck..

Keith ..[;)]