Author Topic: engine vibration  (Read 1986 times)

Dave Purcell

• View Profile
engine vibration
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:04:30 »
I have developed an engine vibration I have done all normal things a mech of 45yrs would do I think it is in fly wheel but can get no information about it does anybody know if I can retro fit later solid one and put harmonic balancer on front of crank or can I fix and balance the one I have are parts avalable can any body help
   Dave Purcell

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
engine vibration
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:55 »
If you have the split flywheel then it is likely you should replace the rubber disks & re-set the pressure on these, there is an article in the members section for the PVT Cars which describes what to do, the replacement disks should be available from Brian Eacott & i believs Rod Briggs may be able to supply also.
   I assume you have a PVT Engine block with whats called the 'Cats Paw' mounting, if this is the case you will now find enought room under the water inlet pipe to fit a modern viscus damper which would offer a better result.
   The split flywheel effectively increases the combined resonance of the crankshaft/flywheel so increasing the RPM before the fundimental frequency of the crankshaft is reached, i would also expect ther is some damping effect also but not to the extent that modern crankshaft dampers can achieve.
   Hope this assists.

Robin