Author Topic: EFI engines for MkIV Cobras  (Read 5648 times)

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
EFI engines for MkIV Cobras
« on: April 13, 2010, 21:21:04 »
For the later produced AC vehicles, owners like myself have their cars powered by the superb 302ci Ford V8 engine. This came in either a carburetted form or with Electronic Fuel Injection [EFI]
   The carb version is most desired by the enthusiasts as it offers 60's looks and ease of tuning and upgrading. However, carb engines especially when tuned can be very poor at passing English MOT standard emission tests. As the car gets younger, manufacturing date wise, the more stringent the emission tests. The emission limits are especially tight with post 1991 vehicles, where catalytic convertors are required to be fitted within the exhaust system. This is the case on my own vehicle where I cannot convert to a carb engine and be truely road legal.
   The best solution is EFI. A properly designed/tuned and developed EFI engine will provide just as much horsepower and torque as its carb equivalent, but offers better driveability/fuel consumption and very importantly low emission levels. However to appeal to to many owners an EFI engine needs to look visually like its sixties forebears. With these parameters in mind, I put together a basic set of suitable components and along with my ideas went to see my good friend and V8 expert Peter Knight. [Knight Racing Servies 01327-871177] I asked Pete if he could develop my ideas into a specific Cobra orientated working engine, which would make excellent power, look great and above all be clean.
   With his expertise, the first of these new engines has just been run on his in-house dynamometer, with it going to be installed to a Lightweight. I believe the results are fantastic and worthy of installation in any AC and I have ordered one for my own CRS.
   On testing, the engine developed 386bhp @ 5600rpm and 388 lbs/ft of torque @ 4700rpm. There was 361 lbs/ft of torque avaialble from 3000rpm.
   The basic engine build specification is as follows;
   302ci Roller cam block, blue print assembled and fitted with a stroker kit to increase capacity to 331ci.
   Fully balanced internals with Wiseco forged pistons
   Ford Motorsport aluminium cylinder heads with special camshaft and roller rockers.
   TWM throttle bodies on special intake manifold assembly.
   EFI Technologies ECU with Bevan Technologies wiring harness.
   What makes this engine stand out from all other EFI motors is the TWM Induction set-up. This uses throttle bodies which look like 60's period down-draught Weber carbs. Also with the sofisticated ECU the engine is easliy tunable via a lap-top for both power and emissions.
   If any AC owners has interest in the above spec. engine thay can call Peter direct and he will be happy to discuss the finer details with them.
   Finally, thank you again to Bruce Classen for kindly uploading pictures of the engine plus a copy of the power dyno sheet.
   Alan Faulkner-Stevens

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 23:26:12 »
Theres no pics up so I'll do the honours!

In testament to Alan he's not only done the engine, but is in the process of transforming the car. AKL1408 is being lovingly restored.

These are pictures of it before boarding at LA.

Believe me the images don't really tell the story!

This is how it looked today.........

Doesn't it look great in its new livery!

This is the link to the first time it was seen on the board.

http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1308

And for those who don't know Alans work.... You should. Its really worth a look. This is his gallery of past work.

http://www.dragonwheelsrestorations.co.uk/gallery.htm

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 14:50:42 »
Hi Alan, additional photos below.

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 17:26:20 »
quote:
Doesn't it look great in its new livery!

Hi Nick, it's looking great.  Please make sure that you & Alan keep us updated with progress photos!

Bruce

ANF289

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 16:49:19 »
quote:
What makes this engine stand out from all other EFI motors is the TWM Induction set-up. This uses throttle bodies which look like 60's period down-draught Weber carbs.
Very nice set-up Alan.

Did you use the IDA or IDF style throttle bodies (I can’t tell from the pictures)?  What was the rationale for using one over the other?  Did you use one of the standard TWM induction kits (and if so which one), or did you multi-source the manifold, etc?  For those who are interested, TWM provides a very nice PDF file of their V8 induction kits at: http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/v8_kits-FR.html (See Fuel Injection Catalog under Click Here for Price List).

Art

Alan Faulkner-Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:08 »
We used the IDF style throttle bodies, the main reason being they were the lowest profile ones as there was concern about clearance on the underside of the bonnet. There were two sizes available, 48mm and 50mm, based upon our engine configuration, although giving good performance we always had an eye towards emissions. Pete feels because we were not trying to achieve ultimate power either version is quite satisfactory. The only difference may be a slight change in the torque curve. I believe the produced level of horsepower from this engine will be more than enough and I expect it will make an excellent all round driving car, especially in an aluminium bodied vehicle. My CRS is the lightest version of the Cobras so will have an advantage over an aluminium car with this engine installed.
   I never forget the recommended torque limit for a standard T5 is only 350lbs/ft, and ultimately this engine exceeds that, but it's peak torque is little further up the rpm range, so keeping away from hard throttle standing starts all should be well.
   The idea of this engine always was driveability and modern usage.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 23:41:11 »
Nice set-up indeed, Alan..

Something to keep in mind for later.. my standard EFI still runs great with only some 50K km on the clock

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 13:32:51 »
Thanks Bruce. You did a lovely job yourself! It was certainly nice to see that it turned out so well for you.

Alans busy finishing off the other two he's working on at the moment, but when theres any great progress we'll put some pics up.

With regards to the fuel injection, Alan hasn't just had input with the engine he's also changed the gearing so that it should have pretty good acceleration through the gears ([:D]), but cruise along fairly frugally and at low revs in top. So the combination of the two should make for a more pleasureable drive.

I'm hoping to take the car on the continent for holidays in the future and that was one of the reasons I wanted a LHD car. I'm certainly looking forward to trying the end result!

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:39:28 »
To add some experiences with the TMW stack injection: With Weber Carburetors the engine runs smooth. It has a tremendous torque and power, and you can floor the throttle without the fear to spin - the Salisbury slip does a great job. Unfortunately the 6 Ltr. engine easily ate up my T5 - the 3rd gear is the weak one. As far as I know, max. torque is 270 lb ft. and 330 lb ft. with the HD gears.
   What is tremendous with the TMW injection is the throttle response. You really have to be careful with your right foot - especially out of the corners. The TMW injection compared to the carburetted engine is like brute force versus smooth force.