Author Topic: Vintage AC for sale?  (Read 6916 times)

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:34 »
Would anyone happen to know of a good vintage AC for sale?  I would have been very keen on the ex David Barker car that sold a few months ago, but the timeing was not right for me.
   (if this posting is thought to be inappropriate, please let me know and I will delete it)

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:49 »
Are you looking for a 4 or 6 cylinder, and something that is potentially good but needs work or that is in running condition?

bobbylangley

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 14:22:59 »
1924 AC Anzani long term ownership by club member coming up for auction by Charterhouse of Sherborne on July 21st at Sherborne Castle if this is what you may be looking for.

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 08:17:15 »
I'm after something in excellent mechanical order,  4cyl for preference, but do not rule out a 6.
   I can't see anything about the AC on the Charterhouse web site yet,  but will keep a regular watch,  thanks for the lead.

Old Crock

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 12:03:03 »
There’s a 4-cyl. at Bonhams sale, this coming Monday at Hendon (with viewing tomorrow 28/4/13). An interesting car, described as original and unrestored, and with only six owners from new - it’s been in the same family ownership for nearly 60 years. Quote by Bonhams ‘Both body and interior are described as 'patinated' and the car's mechanical condition is said to be good’ unquote.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20926/lot/370/?page_anchor=MR1_page_lots%3D33%26r1%3D10%26m1%3D1

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 13:22:24 »
Thanks for that,  sadly I'm abroad at present and only get back on the 29th - it looks very nice.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:40:30 »
Steve Gray (AC Heritage) may still have his 4 cylinder for sale.  It's the only known survivor of the 50 cars built by the Hurlocks from vintage parts and is said to be in good order.

It is not shown on his website but it's worth enquiring:  http://www.acheritage.co.uk/

Old Crock

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:27:01 »
That is a very odd car indeed. It may superficially appear a vintage car but was first registered in 1932, I believe. It is not a vintage car, nor is it a PVT - it’s not one thing or the other but a complete oddball. Even if assembled by the Hurlocks, these facts make it much less desirable and, consequently, less valuable.

It was assembled from assorted parts - the body style is a modified six-cylinder type from the late 1920’s, the four-cylinder engine is probably 1926/7 (so pre-dates the body by a few years) and the rad grill is from the 1930’s – even if ‘as built’ this car looks very strange and not to period. It may well appeal to someone out there, but certainly not your typical vintage enthusiast at all, and is the likely reason it’s been up for sale for so long, and at a reduced price. That’s a personal view, of course!

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 18:56:29 »
I hadn't  looked at the AC heritage site before - interesting to see the 1922 sports photo,  is this the same car as was in Canada some while ago?  It's unusual to see a vintage AC with a front bumper.
   The look of the 'assembled' car does not appeal to me very much.

Old Crock

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 23:31:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jam2

interesting to see the 1922 sports photo,  is this the same car as was in Canada some while ago?  It's unusual to see a vintage AC with a front bumper.

Yes, the same car that was in Ontario – it had that spring bumper then!

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:32 »
quote:
Originally posted by bobbylangley

1924 AC Anzani long term ownership by club member coming up for auction by Charterhouse of Sherborne on July 21st at Sherborne Castle if this is what you may be looking for.

This one has a fascinating history and an incredibly low milage - awaiting photos from  Charterhouse........

Old Crock

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 00:55:37 »
TN4042, above, sold for £17250 today

Jam2

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:14:02 »
Thanks for the various suggestions.  In the end I have acquired a 1922 Citroen 5hp a car of negligible performance and modest cost!  A bit different from the AC but I seemed to have missed the boat as far as low cost vintage AC were concerned.  I'm pleased in some ways as I have always thought the vintage AC grossly under valued.

Classicus

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 22:21:14 »
!924 AC Anzani for auction 21 July....

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C389847

SB7015

• View Profile
Vintage AC for sale?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 19:40:42 »
I had emailed this two bit auction house a week ago for certain information and requested a telephone bid having supplied all necessary information. I heard nothing so I phoned to be rammed with their terms and conditions requesting a £1000 deposit, yes one thousand pound deposit for the privilege of being allowed a telephone bid. So I politely told them to stuff their auction up their a**!!! This extremely beautiful early AC deserves better handling and treatment than this bunch of cowboys. Still not even had the courtesy of a reply to my email. I pity the poor bugger who let them have this outback auction outfit to try and achieve best them best market value with their snotty terms of conditions because they cannot be bothered to do some work.