Author Topic: Racing Windscreen  (Read 5810 times)

pls01

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« on: April 30, 2010, 14:04:22 »
I'm looking for a racing windscreen for the Ace.  The car had one when raced in the early 60's.  The holes and mounting bracket are still in the cowl, but I can't find the screen.  It was taken off when the windshield was reinstalled and car was put back to road use.

There are three studs in the mounting bracket.  They are not equally spaced.  The first to the middle is about 8.0" and the middle to the third is 7.5".

Any ideas where to get the screen?  Any people making replicas of late 50's speed parts?
   Thanks
   Peter

aex125

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 20:09:36 »
Peter, Is this what you are looking for?
   http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=32055&SortOrder=1

Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 21:31:14 »
Jay

I think Peter is trying to locate a Perspex bubble style screen, as most of us use, Mind you I could be wrong.
   Simply remove windscreen from Ace and place Bubble style wind deflector on scuttle and secure with a series of cap head bolts into strategically placed Riv Nuts.

When refitting my Road going stock windscreen, simply put the Screen legs through the two slots in Scuttle reach inside the car and place pair of studs with hooked tangs through the frame and tighten the wing nuts by hand.

Usually takes eight to ten minutes if not  distubed or not peeeeing down with rain.

Have a look at some period racing shots, or visit my Thread "Racing History of BEX333... 1957 to 1964 " there are  a couple of pictures of BEX333 wearing a  perspex bubble.

Bought mine Second Hand  some  9 or 10 years ago....  Put  a advert out in ACtion, some one must have one gathering dust from when they raced their Ace or Cobra.

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:17:11 »
Ok,
    How about this one?

http://www.fastfreddiesfabrications.com/shop/product.php?id_product=2

Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:59 »
Jay ( Alias " Sherlock Holmes")

Good Detective Work ... ...  Spot On !! [:p]

Due to body contours one might have to profile some sponge rubber between the scuttle and perspex to achieve good fit and ensure its totally secure.
   The idea of securing with riv nuts, you can fit the bubble in a few minutes and when removed you are only left with a few drilled out holes as tell tale marks.

Keith

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 19:24:17 »
Here is one from Cobra restorers (Chuck Gutke) in Georgia. He has a huge selection of correct Cobra parts.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 19:27:02 »
I guess my link did not work.

www.cobrarestorers.com

Check out the shelby parts catalog, go to windshields.

That one seems to be a more correct curve.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 20:26:58 »
Peter  &  Jay

The Fast Freedies Perspex Bubble should serve the purpose easier than the one on BEX333,  My one the perspex screen looks similar but the my perspex kicks out to form the base which does not match the body contour, hence soft sponge rubber packing piece

Thankfully things move on and Fast Freddies should fit easier and better, plus if it breaks or gets scratched or cracked you can simply replace it without having to redrill it or the Scuttle.

Was this the style you were seeking ? or are you after a complete full width low perspex screen as per Steve Grays Ex Rudd Speed Ace?

Keith

pls01

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 03:08:01 »
Thanks for all the replies!
   Yes, I am looking for  more of a Perspex screen rather than the flat screen from Moss.

The ones from Corbra Restorers and Fast Freddy are the right concept, but vary in detail from the one pictured on my Ace.  I need to get the picture scanned.  It shows a small Perspex screen with maybe just a bit of curve.  The base matches the body curve very well.  It is held in place by 3 studs.  The studs are brazed to a backing plate which is under the cowl.  The body has three holes in the cowl.  The backing plate and studs are inserted up behind the dash.  The windshield is fastened to the protuding studs.  I have the three studs with acorn nuts sticking through the cowl, but nothing to bolt on.  I'm beginning to think it was hand made.

I should post the pictures of some carb air turning vanes.  I was told these were hand made at the jet engine maker Pratt&Whitney in their R&D lab.  The lab director also had an Ace and raced with my father.  Not sure I believe the story, but they are cool looking.

I hadn't seen these sites.  Maybe I can get Fast Freddy to fab something
   Thanks very much
   Peter

aex125

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 05:15:05 »
Peter,
   You can also try Nick Acton of Acton Customs.

http://www.actoncustom.com/

He is a great guy to deal with and very reasonable in price. If I remember correctly he has stated in the past he could make a bubble screen and he might be able to get you what you need.
   Jay

ANTOINE PRUNET

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 20:16:46 »
PLS1,
   I have the original perspex racing bubble for my BEX 242. Actually it is as you describe it and looks no way like any of those shown on this thread. If you want I can shoot photos made and send them by e-mail as I refuse to post photos on this forum until they stick to the present process.
   Best regards

pls01

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 03:19:54 »
Antoine,
   Yes, please send the pictures.  My email address is peter_stanwicks@att.net

I know what you mean about posting pictures.  I've been meaning to post some pictures of the vintage Bristol racing intakes but can't bring myself to go through the whole process.  There must be some technical or security reason for this method.

Thank you very much for the help
   Peter Stanwicks

sports-car-restorer

• View Profile
Racing Windscreen
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 16:58:19 »
I am pleased to be able to tell you that I just made a mold from one of the ORIGINAL AC Ace Bristol factory racing screens, and have now produced five new ones in acrylic.  They look stunning and are (of course!) totally authentic.  The first has gone onto my Ace Bristol BEX 430, and it fits perfectly onto the pitch circle of holes in the scuttle where the original was drilled in 1958.I have sold one other, but there are at this time 3 left, if any of you are interested.  I can be contacted by this blog, or see www.blueridge-sportscars.com
   I am asking US$295 for each screen, and that includes a rubber gasket cut to shape for the seal against the paint.